Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My name is ***** ***** and I have a problem with an oven. It

Customer Question

Hello. My name is ***** ***** and I have a problem with an oven. It won't heat up, but lights, fan and display all still working. How do I tell if it's the thermostat, heating element, or something else?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It's a Miele H4431.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've paid, but it asked for £21 (about $30) and made me sign up per month (which I assume I can cancel at any time).
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! If it is not heating in any cycle at all, there is probably an open thermal fuse. Did it stop heating in the middle of being used or what exactly happened?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure, I've acquired it broken. What does an "open thermal fuse" mean?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

There are thermal (heat sensitive) fuses (they will open if too hot, causing the circuit to be unable to energize the elements) that are installed to prevent overheating, usually during pyrolytic cycles or run away oven issues. Do you have an electrical tester to test any components with and know how to make basic measurements with it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't have one, but could easily acquire one. Can you advise how I go about testing the fuse?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

You would only need to test continuity through each of them. Most testers will have a setting that will beep when the leads are touched together. That is the setting you would use, testing to see if the tester beeps when a lead is touched to each terminals, measuring continuity through the fuse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I now have a multimeter! Where in the oven will I find the fuses in question?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Typically, they are near where number 7 is in the attached diagram. There are several styles, so if you follow the wires from the heating elements, they will pass from the control board to the thermostat and then to the element.