UK Appliance

UK Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

UK Appliance

Have an Ikea Whirlpool DWF B10 dishwasher. Ran a degreaser

Customer Question
Have an Ikea Whirlpool DWF...
Have an Ikea Whirlpool DWF B10 dishwasher. Ran a degreaser through the machine along with the washing machine (washing machine has been ok and the degreaser / cleaner was suitable / recommended for both dishwashers and washing machines). The (degreasing) cycle on the dishwasher ran ok for most of the programme then the error message kicked in (6 flashes - then sometimes 7 flashes). Have searched the internet and have found this is an intake flow issue. The water pressure has always been low but the dishwasher ran ok prior to putting the degreaser in. It was attached to the hot water feed for info. Changing the feed to cold water doesn't get rid of the error message so doesn't seem to be a water pressure issue. Have tried disconnecting / reconnecting the 2-wire PCB connector on the tank on the left hand side of the machine, as per internet posts - no effect. Have tried flushing the machine out with kettles of hot water - no effect (though it does still drain so the pump / waste pipe seems to be ok). Have taken the tank off the left side of the machine and the windmill thing is not blocked and rotates freely. No effect once the tank was replaced. There seem to be two tanks on the left side at the bottom - one to the back and one to the front. The front tank seems to be empty but the back one seems to be filled completely with an orange substance - seems gel like with white flecks in it. Is this normal? Should the tank be empty / clear? Is the degreaser stuff clogging up the tank? Is this the cause of the error message and if so how can I clear it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Appliance
1/12/2016
UK Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi

To start with the tank you see at the bottom with the orange bits in is normal as this is the water softner so that's ment to look like that,

As to the 7 flashes this means the pressure sensor isn't picking up the water level even though the flow sensor picks up water is passing through it.

This is usually the pressure sensor in the sump rather then the flow sensor in the filling tank. If you only ever got 6 flashes then that is usually the flow sensor but 7 flashes is usually the pressure sensor.

What you can try is remove the bottom basket and the filters in the bottom. Then look in there you will see a round black grid. This is the pressure sensor. Pore boiling water in there and then with an old tooth brush give this a scrub as they do block up in there.

Then retry it and see how it goes from there. Fingers crossed that cures it.

But if its still the same then remove the outer door panel and there you will see the wiring look running from the top to the under side. Give each a tug and check for a broken wire in there as the wires do like to break in there.

If the wires are fine then you need to remove the pressure sensor from under the dishwasher and test the switch in there as its a microswitch. If faulty then you need to replace it and that should cure the fault from there.

Try that and see what you find from there. As the 7 flashes is mostly something to do with the pressure sensor in there.

Regards

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried the boiling water and toothbrush trick on the black grid / sensor and no response. Still get the 6-flash message, Do I now go to removing the door to check wiring?

Yes remove the outer door panel and check the wiring in there as the wires do break a lot in there as well.

But if you now have 6 flashes this is more the flow sensor in the filling tank that you have checked.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for the response. Really appreciate the input! Having got the left hand panel off and had the machine running with the panel off there's no obvious movement of water in the tank on the left hand side. No bubbling or obvious flow. Is this normal? Should the water flow be visible? Does this lack of flow make a difference to the next step? Do I still need to take the door off and check wiring?

You should see the water flowing through there as its filling.

If you look at the left hand side of the tank towards the bottom in there you will see a water wheel.

As the water pass through this the wheel spins and this flow sensor picks the pulses up from it so that's how it know its filing.

If the water pressure is low then this doesn't spin fast enough so the flow sensor picks up a filling issue and error codes out.

So these need a good water pressure on there for it to fill and work correctly.

Hi

Just wondering how you got on with the dishwasher as the question is still open?

Do you need anymore help on this?

If not then if you could rate the answer that would be great.

Regards

Daniel, Home Appliance Technician