Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have an integrated Whirlpool dishwasher g2pdw1. Recently

Customer Question

I have an integrated Whirlpool dishwasher g2pdw1. Recently I'll put it on, it will do a normal length cycle and sounds normal, but when I open it the dishwasher tab is always stuck, only slightly dissolved, on the rack next to where the dispenser box would be when the door is shut. Cannot work out why. No error code. Used to be intermittant but now all the time. Please help!
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Does the dishwasher seem to get hot during the wash cycle?

Also what you need to do is set open the door and turn the top spray arm so it faces front to back.

Close the door and set it going on a wash and when its washing open the door carefully and see if the top arm has moved position. Try it a few times and see what happens.

You don't have to do it right now if you don't want to. Try it next time you use it and see what happens and let me know. As im online every day nearly so you can just reply back on here.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. No it doesn't get hot.
I put it on again when I got your message, so about 20 mins ago, and so far it doesn't seem the top arm has moved. It doesn't feel like it moves freely like the other 2. But I don't know at what point in the cycle it should move.
Thanks
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

The top arm should move as soon as it starts washing.

As how this dishwasher dissolves the tablet is by the top arm spraying hot water into the dispenser drawer. So the dishwasher has to heat the water up and the arm move to dissolve the tablet.

Pull the top basket out and remove the arm under it. You just twist the locking disc and remove it.

From there you need to clean out all the holes in there and make sure they are clear.

As to the heating issue. Depending on the cycle you have it on it can take anywere from 10 mins to 30 mins to start heating. If you use the fast wash it will heat quickly but if you use the full washes then it can take longer.

But if its just not heating at all then you need to find the cause as it has to heat the water to be able to wash proberly. For the heating fault this is usually either the heater itself, Wiring or the control board.

But try the top arm first and see how it goes from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah sorry I misunderstood. The water gets hot. I thought you meant does the machine seem to be overheating.
You've recommended removing top basket and taking off the arm underneath but it's the top arm I've been checking, the 1 attached to the top of the machine. Should I remove and clean that 1? If so, does it come out the same way?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Sorry my fault most dishwashers only have 2 arms but this model as the smaller one on the roof inside.

Its the one below the top basket which dissolves the tablet as the on the roof doesn't really do much so don't worry about that one.

Check the one under the top basket as that's the one to washes the tablet out of the drawer.

Also just a thought as well. You don't have an dishwasher freshner hanging on the top basket on the dispenser side do you? If so then this also causes the fault so move it to the other side and see how that goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right. I've taken arm off and water runs freely through it and it does spin while machine is going.
Does the flap holding the tablet open up and the hot water sprays to disolve it? Because I'm wondering if when it opens, maybe the tablet falls out? But they're fairy or finish and I'm guessing the makers would take that into consideration.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Ok as long as the drawer opens during the cycle then the tablet should dissolve as long as the water is getting hot.

For a trial try this on your next wash and see what happens.

Instead of putting the tablet in the drawer place it in the cutlery basket instead and set it going on a wash and see if tis dissolved at the end of the wash then and let me know.

Regards