Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have just taken receipt of a Samsung hob (a replacement of

Customer Question

Customer: I have just taken receipt of a Samsung hob (a replacement of a New World hob which was broken when something dropped on it). My New World was fitted above a drawer unit. The instructions for the Samsung say that "Drawers may not be fitted underneath the hob". What is my best plan? Shall I return the Samsung, or can I install something which would make the hob safe?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Samsung C61R2AEE replacing a New World NWT C60 model###-##-#### ***** obsolete. I want a hob that will go in the same place but do not wish to compromise any safety issues or negate my warranty.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to UK Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! You will probably need to remove the top drawer and place a faux front in its place. The issue is with air flow. A drawer directly under the hob may restrict air flow and cause overheating. You will find this with any manufacturer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are barriers you can buy apparently...see IKEA web site under hob separators. I've read that the problem seems to be heat transference to the cutlery below or someone getting burnt from touching the base of the hob from underneath. I haven't read anything about airflow. My electrician has never heard that there is any problem and says that heat will not transfer to the top drawer from the hob. I had , with whoever, to get a definitive answer about this. Not happy with the answer above as it is too woolly...the words "probably" and "may" do not fill me with confidence that the issue has been tested. More likely it's the manufacturer covering his back in case his product is wanting.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Okay, good luck.