Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a bosch fridge freezer model no KGV3104. The fridge

Customer Question

I have a bosch fridge freezer model no KGV3104. The fridge appears to run normaly but does not get cold enough. When the compressor stops, it starts to defrost before it starts up again. I have replaced the control module but that has made no difference at all. I have had 2 different fridge mechanics look at it, but neither of them knew what to do. What would be my next step? I am in Australia but brought the fridge from the UK.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! It sounds like the sensor that monitors the temperature is outof range and so the control module sees a temperature that is colder than it really is. Have the previous technicians ever tested the temperature sensor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The two technicians who came to look at the fridge/freezer did not know anything about this model as it is imported from UK. They could only suggest replacing the control module in the top of the fridge above the door, which I did and it made no difference. What do you mean by 'out of range'? Where is the temperature sensor? I am a retired electrician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they did not test the temperature sensor or anything else. The first mechanic said all he would do is replace the control module but he could not get one in Australia. I got one from Germany and replaced it myself. The second mechanic just took a look and said he knew nothing about this model of fridge because it is imported from the UK. Even though his company 'specialised' in Bosch appliances.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is is too early to speak to you on the phone? I could use skype. Or shall I wait?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

There are electronic sensors that monitor the temperature in each section. They change resistance with temperature, that is how the control knows what the temperature is. Can you post the rest of the model (E number), there are several listed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These are the numbers on the plate inside the fridge:E- NR KGV- 3104 - GB/04 F.D. 7812/01306
KGV3 104 9022 1059
EN 28187
CLASS SN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The back of the fridge is all foamed in with some sort of insulation. Inside the fridge there is no inspection box, no thermostat, no nothing.
There is an inspection box on the outside of the freezer (looking at the back on the left hand side), but it is all filled with semi-hard filling. Inside the freezer on the right hand side, there are two copper tubes, one is about 1/4 inch diameter and the other one is about 1/8 inch diameter, which would match up with the inspection box on the outside. These are connected to the cooling system inside the freezer. Are these the sensors? If so, why would they both be inside the freezer?
What would the sensors look like, how do you test them, and what would you test them with?. If faulty, to remove them, would it necessitate re-gassing of the fridge? Or are they electric?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Odd, that model shows an electronic control but also a manual temperature control. To set the temperature, do you turn a manual type knob or push buttons?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly, on the outside of the control panel there are two push buttons, one on the left to 'super freeze' and one on the right to turn the fridge/freezer on and off. In between these push buttons there is a manual dial going from 1 through 5 (5 being the coldest). The fridge at the moment is on No 5, but our fridge thermometer shows the temperature inside the fridge at just under 20 centigrade (70 farenheit) but the compressor is not running at the moment. Inside the freezer there is an inbuilt thermometer which goes from minus Centigrade to zero. At the moment the dial is in the striped section, which means it is not freezing. The fridge has just re-started and the temperature inside is 20 Centigrade, which is far too warm.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly, do you know whats going on, as no one has contacted me about my fridge, since you last contacted me on the 17th December. What happens now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still waiting to hear from another expert, since you last contacted me on 17th December. Please let me know what is happening. Will I get a new expert or shall I request a refund.