UK Appliance

UK Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

UK Appliance

My Samsung side by side fridge freezer display is Stuck on

Customer Question
my Samsung side by side...
my Samsung side by side fridge freezer display is Stuck on -9. I have used the power freeze button but is still is not Cooing to the set temp of -18. The fridge is ok. I did a reset of the digital display by holding 2 buttons together to clear the display to see if a fault would show up and it appears to be in thaw mode. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Appliance
11/22/2015
UK Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi

If you empty the freezer and look on the back panel inside the freezer in the bottom half do you see any ice or frost through the vents there?

Regards

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No it is all clear. This morning I took ice maker out because it suddenly has just stared to crush all ice even on ice cube mode. I pulled the freezer out to turn off main power and put power back on again and cleared th digital display board. Everything came back on and the fridge is fine but the temp inside th freezer is no dropped to -7 so I have had to talk all food out.

Ok normally when you get a frost free freezer hovering around the -9 mark its usually a build up of ice around the evaporator and fan which then stops the air flow around the freezer.

What you need to do if you can is empty the freezer and remove the plastic cover on the back in the bottom half of the freezer.

Behind there you will see the evaporator and the fan is inside the panel.

If this is covered in ice you need to use a hairdryer and fully melt the ice in there and make sure the fan is free to turn.

Once that's clear retry the freezer and that should get it back to -18 from there.

But if you don't want to go removing panels then you need to do a full defrost on the appliance so you will need to turn it off and leave the freezer door open for 24 hours and this will allow the ice to melt itself.

Then see how it goes and fingers crossed this is just a one off but if it happens again then theres a fault on the automatic defrost side which will be either the defrost heater or sensors so for this you need to access the evaporator and test them from there.

So try the above and see how it goes from there. If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Regards

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks will defrost. I need to keep the fridge on on though so if I just keep the freezer door will that be sufficient? I have already emptied it. I haven't inadvertently pressed a sequence in the digital display to put it in thaw mode have I?

Im afraid that wont work as its a single compressor unit so both will need to be turned off as if you just leave the freezer door open this will make it worse as it will build up with too much ice and frost inside.

To turn it off both will go off im afraid, Sorry

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks will defrost overnight

Im very sorry but an overnight defrost more then likely wont do much as it needs at least 24 hours to clear the ice as it will be like a block behind the panel.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok will leave till pm

That should be fine. Just remember to leave the door open.

Also just let me know how it goes.

Regards

Daniel, Home Appliance Technician