UK Appliance

UK Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

UK Appliance

I have a zanussi washer dryer that washes fine but does not

Customer Question
dry. It's doesn't display any...
I have a zanussi washer dryer that washes fine but does not dry. It's doesn't display any fault codes, it simply completes its cycle and the load comes out cold and wet so it seems not to be hearing at all, can you please advise?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Appliance
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Model number is ***** 225
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Further to this I've done some testing, results as detailed:The condenser dryer system has two elements, each measures 80 ohmsIt has two thermal overloads, both appear ok, measuring less than two ohms each.There is also a thermistor which measures 4.4k ohms at ambient, 1.6k ohms in a cup of hot water.The hot air fan turns freely, the drive belt is fine. The motor itself measures 25 ohms across its connections and this value fluctuatesas you spin it.I am running out of ideas
11/22/2015
UK Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi

Lets see what the stored error code is. Set the washer going on a spin cycle and then press and hold the start button and the button to the left of it.

Keep them both held in and after a few seconds the error code will come up E??

Let me know the code.

Regards

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
E69

Hi

Ok E69 is a wash heater element fault which this wont effect the dryer side from working.

What actually happens when you set the dryer going?

Do you hear the dryer fan motor kick in after a few minutes?

Does it get hot at all during the dryer side?

Does it run the full time still that you set it on?

Regards

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The dryer will go through a full cycle. But the washing comes out wet and cold. It doesn't appear to get hot at all.I have run the dryer with the lid off and the fan Begins to turn after a few minutes but it does seem to be struggling.I have 240v passing through the element and through both sides of the thermal cut out switch but the dryer tube doesn't seem to be getting hot at all

When you say the fan is struggling is it not spinning round fast as that should spin fast.

Remove the small belt and turn the pulley wheel towards the back on the fan chamber and see if this is stiff to turn as that should be very free to turn. Sometimes they stiffen up and the fan doesn't spin fast enough to blow the air into the drum and cause this fault.

So if the little belt is ok and the fan chamber is quite stiff and its not spinning fast then its more then likely that fan chamber at fault.

As when this fails that's the only part on the dryer side that wont cause an error code as its not electronic so that wont cause an error code for the dryer side.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The fan chamber turns freely, I've had it out and cleaned it up to remove the lint build up

Ok so if that's turning fine then that's ok.

So when you say the fan is struggling what do you mean by that, The fan isn't turning as fast as it should?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The fan doesn't seem to turn quickly, and some times stalls the motor. Currently running through the cycle again without the drive belt on and the motor runs fine (though I suspect it would without a load on regardless).The fan doesn't feel overly tight to turn by hand but it doesn't continue to spin as soon a you stop assisting it, should it free wheel?

Ok theres 2 parts to this. You have the actual motor itself that sits just behind the metal support panel and then you have the plastic fan chamber towards the back which usually has the smaller pulley wheel on it.

Is it the front motor that seems to be stopping when on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's the motor itself that slows, but only under load from the fan chamber, when the chamber drive belt is off the motor turns without trouble.Does the system monitor airflow? What I can't understand in any of this is why I have no heat at all? If the air circulation was poor surely we'd overheat?

As to the fan motor if its doing that then its possibley faulty. Strange as to be honest this was a part we very rarely replaced as they didn't fail.

But if they did then it will over heat and this causes the smaller thermostat on the side of the dryer chamber to trip out. But this is a reset thermostat which as a small red reset button which you press to reset. But from your first question you said that was ok.

As to the heater have you tested the heater to see if you have 240v going to each heater there?

Im taking it you have refitted the smaller overheat thermostat back?

If that's all ok then you need to remove the back panel on the washer and there in the bottom left you will see the dryer chamber.

In the bottom of this is another thermistor. It will have 2 thin wires to it. Check the wires on there and also test that thermistor and see what reading you get.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry yes, uploaded my work in progress picture by accident, all refitted and wired back up now.I have had the dryer chamber out as it was choked with lint. It's clear now and refitted. I found the thermistor during that and tested it, it was 4.5k ohm at ambient temp and around 1.8k ohm in hot water

Ok s just double check the bottom thermistor is ok.

The 2 thermostats on the side are ok.

The front thermistor on the dryer chamber is ok as well and the fan motor is running.

The condenser chamber is all clear as well and theres still no heat from it?

Also just a thought for the error code you have coming up its showing the wash heater. Now for this it can be either the wash heater itself or the dryer circuit board which is the small square circuit board at the front.

Just check the resistance of the wash heater at the back at the bottom of the drum and see if that's ok.

If the heater is fine then its all pointing to the small dryer circuit board at the front as this is the part that controls the dryer as well so as all the thermistors and thermostats are fine then its looking like that dryer board is the issue here im afraid.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
everything tests out as it should (as you can probably guess I know my way around fault finding).I've checked:
Elements for both washer and dryer
Thermal fuses/overloads
Thermistor at the front of the machine where the airflow enters the drum and the Thermistor on the bottom of the chamber. Everything tests as is should.Only thing that looks out of the ordinary is the slowing chamber fan, but that doesn't explain the lack of heat?!Might solve this the other way by buy a new washer dryer!

Ive just been digging around and ive found the service manual on this. Ive just uploaded it so click the link below and then you can download and save it.

Have a look though there and it shows you the test programes on this so may help a bit more for you.

Click here.

Daniel, Home Appliance Technician