Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a hotpoint aquarius+wmf740. I recently replaced the

Customer Question

Hi, I have a hotpoint aquarius+wmf740. I recently replaced the carbon brushes as they were completely worn away. The machine worked fine for the last month. Yesterday it developed a new fault. The machine went through the cycle as normal but when it came to its final spin it didnt kick fully into top gear and kept stopping. Now today it will only spin for a few seconds before stopping, even on the initial spin cycle. The machine seems to be going through the different cycles (without spinning properly) and there is no fault code. I'm a plumbing and heating engineer with some experience in home appliances. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Hi

What load is in the washer at the time it does this?

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried it with a full load and with no load. I've tried changing the spin right down to 400rpm and it's still the same. I've tried a spin cycle only, a full wash cycle etc etc. it's the same no matter what. It will spin for a few seconds then slows down and stops. I've checked the belt and it seems fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also the timer counts down as normal. When it reaches 1 minute remaining it just carries on. Spins for a few seconds then stops. It repeats this over and over again without ever getting out of first gear.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Ok so if you just leave it to do its thing at no point do you get an F code comming up?

Does it drain the water out ok and have you checked the filter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've left it for roughly an hour after it had 1 minute remaining and no fault code appeared. Yes I checked the filter and it had a £2 coin in it. I cleared it but no difference to the spin cycle. It appears to be draining the water away ok.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Ok try this and see what happens.

Remove the top and from there locate the pressure switch. Its either at the front right hand side on the top or back left again on the top.

It will have a thin hose on it. Pull the hose off and blow hard down it then refit the hose.

Now try it on a spin only and see what happens there and let me know.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I will try that when I get home and get back to you.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

No worries

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I have blown down the hose and there was no restriction. Turned the machine onto a spin cycle and the same fault occurred. For your reference the switch on this model is located front right at the top.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Ok so if you set it to a wash cycle the washer is still filling washing and draining ok but just wont pick up into a fast spin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thats pretty much what happened yesterday. I put the machine onto a fast wash 60 min programme. It went through the motions and after an hour or so I thought it was strange that it hadn't stopped. It seemed like it was going to do the main spin at the end but as it went through the gears it kept stopping before it would hit full spin. I was in a rush so turned it off and emptied it. Today I've gone to try again only this time it hardly spins at all. Yesterday it would spin fairly fast without hitting top gear. Today it's like it won't get out of first gear. I'm going to leave it a bit longer this time to see if a fault code occurs. If not I'll try it on a full wash (empty) to make sure it's filling and draining. I'll be in touch. Many thanks.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

No worries, Try it on a full wash or just leave the spin and see if all the lights start flashing again and if so which lights on the far right are just lit up.

I think if left during a full wash it will error code out in the end.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will try that. Thanks.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

No worries

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so left on the spin cycle it eventually flagged up F02 fault code and all the lights are flashing.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Ok F02 is a motor fault. First thing to do is remove the motor and check the carbon brushes just in case one of them has stuck in the holder.

If both brushes are fine and it's just not picking into a spin and flashing F02 then it's looking like the motor itself is the fault here.

Now the rare time it can be the control board at fault here but 8 out of 10 for F02 it's the motor itself that's the fault here I'm afraid.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so I've removed the motor and the brushes seem fine (they were replaced a month ago). I cleaned up the terminal connections and the magnet and still the same fault. I was leaning towards a new motor from the start but it's £118 for a new one so wanted to be as sure as possible. Apart from the board which I understand is even more expensive, is there anything else I can do to confirm the exact fault? Is it possible it could be a faulty pressure switch?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Ok you can test the motor if you have a multi meter.

If so then remove the back and you will see the wiring block going to the motor.

Remove the block and there you will see the tags on the motor. Number them from the bottom going up with 1 at the bottom. Then you need to test the following.

Tags 1 and 2 for contonuity

Tags 3 and 4 and 5 (some may have tag 4 missing)

Then test tags 6 and 7 and make sure you have contonuity between all of them.

If you dont then the motor will be the fault here. But if thats fine then the Main control board will be the issue instead. But as you can see both parts are expensive. As to the pressure switch then it wont be this as if this fails you get F11 error code instead as a pressure switch wont cause F02.

But Hotpoint actually do a 10 year parts warrenty on there machines so you just pay the call out which will be £110. So for that price they will call out and fit the part themselfs for you so it works out a bit cheaper then buying the part yourself and you will get a 3 month warrenty on the whole washer as well so thats a bit cheaper that way for you.

Regards