UK Appliance

UK Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

UK Appliance

The drain pump will not stop running unless I turn the

Customer Question
machine off at the socket....
The drain pump will not stop running unless I turn the machine off at the socket.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Appliance
9/7/2015
UK Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi

If the pump is running all the time then this is down to water leaking into the base and activating the flood switch in there which keeps the pump running all the time.

What you need to do is pull the dishwasher out and lean it 45 degs backwards and this will allow the water to drain from the base of the dishwasher so you may need a towel for that part.

Once the water is out the flood switch will reset itself and you can start it as normal from there.

Fingers crossed it was just an overfill that caused this. But if it happens again then theres a water leak in there which you will need to find and fix to cure it. To do this you will need to remove the side panels and then you can see the workings under there, Check for any lose or broken hoses under there.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Regards

Thanks for this. I have already tried the 45deg tilt and pulled off the access panel from the u/s to check hoses and inspect the drain pump itself. There is no water leaking below so cant imagine its the flood switch. Is it possible the flood switch or any other switch is faulty? Any other ideas?

Hi

Ok its possible the flood switch can be faulty.

Are you getting any flashing lights from it?

If you cancel the cycle out and try a new one does it do this on every setting?

Regards

I have unplugged the wire to the flood switch and the pump still runs as soon as I switch on at the wall.
There are no flashing lights and if I start a new cycle the pump just continues regardless. Im not sure if the cycle really starts at all. At one point the electric trip switch tripped out so guess the pump just over-heated.
Are there any other things that would keep it running such as a float switch?

Hi

Ok if theres no flashing lights from it then i dont think the issue is with the flood switch as if this was activated there would be flashing lights on the panel as thats the error code.

If the pump is running all the time then its possibley the control board at fault here.

What you need to do is remove the plastic control panel on the top of the door and just check the door switch hasnt burnt out. As at the moment Hotpoint are having a lot of problems with them as theres a recall on certain models.

But if thats fine then remove the control board and check for signs of burning in there. As if it tripped the eletrics out its possibley somthing thats burnt out. As the drain pump wont have caused the electrics to trip as for it to trip something has shorted out. The pump running all the time wont short the pump out as it will just cut out on the overheat trip. But as the pump is running still then this hasnt happend.

So check the door switch and the control board as the fault will be with them im afraid.

Regards

OK i have have checked the control panel and have taken a picture which is attached. Looks ok to me??
The door switch also seams to be ok but unsure how obvious this would be?
Do you know if my model is being recalled? - Hotpoint SDL510.
The machine is over two years old so would it still be deemed recall-able?
Are either of the potential faults mentioned here worth replacing or is it game over?

Hi

If it not that old then this model will have another control board at the bottom. The one in the door which is the picture you have posted is just the user board not the main power board.

To access the main board you need to remove the outer door panel and then you can remove the plastic trim at the bottom and theres another board there. But this board at the bottom if replaced will need to be programmed up as they are sold blank so you need the programming kit. But to buy all this is more then the dishwasher was.

So the cheaper option to fix this is getting Hotpoint in as they do a fixed price repair for £110 all in so they will replace the board and program it up with there laptop as thats the cheaper fix for this model.

As to the door switch if it was faulty you will see it as it will have burnt out. Plus if its only 2 years then this wont be effect by the recall as this is for the older models 4 years+

Regards

Daniel, Home Appliance Technician