Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

I suspect that the carbon brushes on my Zanussi FLA1002W

Customer Question

I suspect that the carbon brushes on my Zanussi FLA1002W washing machine (91478977400) need replacing. Because the motor will not turn, so drum wont turn. Washing machine fills and drains normally. But when cycle moves onto washing cycle from filling up there is a bang and spark on the motor and then nothing. I have removed the motor to check the carbon brushes. Everything is very sooty - however, I think there is still contact with the motor - doesn't appear to me to be very worn down. I have tried to buy spare part carbon brushes but it seems I can only buy the entire motor. Can I shorten a similar carbon brush to fit. If the problem isn't the carbon brushes what could be the problem. Hope to hear from you soon. REM
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.
Does the brush looked chipped or damaged?
Rob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No! It looks fine
Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
OK
If uou look closely at the armature (the bit the carbon brushes sit on) and turn it slowly, you will see the copper segments.
Do any of these look damaged?
Rob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have put motor back into washing machine and have put a wash on. So far the drum seems to be working normally, i.e. it filled as before, but the next washing/drum turning cycle is also working. Will let you know if the spin cycle works. Will blowing away the carbon residue from the carbon brushes and the contact area in the motor make this much difference?
Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Hi
Its possible that a build up of carbon dust has caused this.
The underlying question though, is why was there so much dust in the first place
Let me know if you need more help
In the meantime, Can I ask you to take a moment and rate my responses so far? Please use the smiley faces / stars, which you should now see. Please remember you are rating me personally, not the website or the problems you have had with this machine.
This will not close your question and you can still come back to me if you need more help
Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've never had to look inside the washing machine before - but may be the age of it - at least 10 years. And the wash when it first went wrong - not much washing in a full spin cycle making it vibrate too hard made the difference. I let you know what happens when the full wash is done whether I need more help. Will rate you then.
Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
OK
Let me know.
Rob