UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have changed the selector on my Hotpoint EW74 oven. Unfortunately…

Customer Question
I have changed the selector...
I have changed the selector on my Hotpoint EW74 oven. Unfortunately this was some time ago and I do not remember where to replace the wires. There are only to wires: one mauve which comes from the attached black and carries on to the loom , the other, white oe, goes to the front display panel. I have 6 possible terminals on the selector. One is marked P1 and P2 seems to refer to the other two on the RHS, on the LHS they are marked '1' and '2' (which again seems to cover two of them. I have tried various combinations but, although some turn the oven on light on momentarily none of them seem to keep it on. (oven knob turned on.)
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: UK Appliance
Answered in 1 day by:
6/24/2015
UK Appliance Technician: Rob, Home Appliance Technician replied 3 years ago
Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.
Hello, I'm so sorry for the extended wait time. Do you still need help with this?
If so, I will try to locate some information on this for you.
Thanks Rob
yes, please
I have put a call out for the schematics of this machine
While Im waiting Ill opt out.
This means that if someone else has this information, they will respond to you directly.
In the meantime, please DO NOT rate or respond to this question, as this will lock your question
Thanks
Rob
UK Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 3 years ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Hi Im sorry but im not sure which switch you have replaced. Which switch is it we are talking about? Regards
Looking at the oven from the front ... the on/off and temperature control switch/knob for the main oven is the furthest right. The spindle going into this knob had broken. So I needed to replace the part just inside the oven that connects with the knob.
The part that I replaced is between the thermostat and the control knob. I sent photos originally - do you need them resending ?
Hi If you can resend the pictures again then I should be able to tell you how its wired up. Regards
The first photo is of the old part (brown). There should be a spindle projecting from the left hand side (broken) but this photo shows clearly the P1/P2 terminals at the bottom of the picture. On the other side (top of picture) the terminals are marked 1 and 2.The second photo shows the replacement part (black) now in place. The markings are exactly the same as the bro***** ***** one.The third photo shows more clearly the wires that need to be attached. The mauve/pink wire comes from the back of the attached part (white) which I think is the the thermostatThe white wire comes from, or goes to, the front display panel.
Hi Thanks for that. Looking at the wiring diagram for that switch its as follows. P1 is white wire1 s the other wire which then goes to the back of the thermostat. Try that and see what happens and let me know. Regards
will try on Tuesday - thank youI am sure I did try it before ...as I thought I had tried all combinations!but will check by seeing if oven heats up ... not just looking at attached led light
Hi No worries try it and see what happens. But according to the wiring diagram that's how its wired up.If that doesn't work then its either the wrong switch or the wires on the other parts have been disturbed. Regards