UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My washing machine is not working. The drum is not turning…

Customer Question
Hi My washing machine is not...
Hi
My washing machine is not working. The drum is not turning and ts not draining. I noticed that the belt is broken. On switching on the machine for a cycle I can hear the motor running.
What else could be the problem?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: UK Appliance
6/8/2015
UK Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 3 years ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Hi, I'm Daniel and I'll be helping you today I've been repairing white goods for 20+ yrs. and currently work for a well-know manufacturer.
Can you post the make and model number please.
Also you say the belt is broken, Have you replace this yet?
Regards
Beko wmb 51221 s.It looks like the drum jammed resulting in the belt breaking. I was actually forcing it to turn clockwise. Anticlockwise it moved a little then jammed again. It is making a grinding noise as if something is caught between 2 moving parts. I thought it may be the bearing.
Hi
If the drum is stiff to turn then its either the drum bearing or theres something stuck in there.
Now what you need to do for this is remove the black hose that goes from the bottom of the drum to the pump and see if you can see anything stuck in there.
Also open the door and peel the door seal back were it lips onto the drum and have a look around there and check theres nothing stuck in there as well.
Other then that these drums are a welded tank so theres no other way to get in there and check it. But if that's all clear then it will be the bearing at fault. Again this comes as a complete drum and its not even worth fixing as the cost of the drum isn't far off the price of a new washer.
Check that out and see what you find and let me know.
Regards