Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My washing machine is not working. The drum is not turning

Customer Question

Hi
My washing machine is not working. The drum is not turning and ts not draining. I noticed that the belt is broken. On switching on the machine for a cycle I can hear the motor running.
What else could be the problem?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Daniel and I'll be helping you today I've been repairing white goods for 20+ yrs. and currently work for a well-know manufacturer.
Can you post the make and model number please.
Also you say the belt is broken, Have you replace this yet?
Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Beko wmb 51221 s.It looks like the drum jammed resulting in the belt breaking. I was actually forcing it to turn clockwise. Anticlockwise it moved a little then jammed again. It is making a grinding noise as if something is caught between 2 moving parts. I thought it may be the bearing.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Hi
If the drum is stiff to turn then its either the drum bearing or theres something stuck in there.
Now what you need to do for this is remove the black hose that goes from the bottom of the drum to the pump and see if you can see anything stuck in there.
Also open the door and peel the door seal back were it lips onto the drum and have a look around there and check theres nothing stuck in there as well.
Other then that these drums are a welded tank so theres no other way to get in there and check it. But if that's all clear then it will be the bearing at fault. Again this comes as a complete drum and its not even worth fixing as the cost of the drum isn't far off the price of a new washer.
Check that out and see what you find and let me know.
Regards