UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Neff cooker hood is not working following a lamp

Customer Question
My Neff cooker hood is...
My Neff cooker hood is not working following a blown lamp
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: UK Appliance
5/28/2015
UK Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 3 years ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Hi, I'm Daniel and I'll be helping you today I've been repairing white goods for 20+ yrs. and currently work for a well-know manufacturer.
Can you post the model number please.
Regards
Neff 79B21
I also cannot find a fuse box anywhere and believe it was fitted directly to the mains (if that makes sense).
Hi
Thanks for that. If the bulb had blown then its either blown the fuse in the plug if it has one or if its hardwired to a socket then its possibley blown the control board.
As this is a chimney hood the fitters usually install the plug inside the chimney on these. So you need to remove that and fingers crossed you will see the plug in there, Check the fuse and replace it and hopefully that will sort it from there.
To remove the chimney if you look at the very top at the back corner there will be a screw both sides.
Remove them and then you should be able remove it from there.
Check that and see what you find and let me know.
Regards
Hi Daniel have already done that. There is no plug but rather a round plastic device with wires spliced and going into the wall. Along side the cooker hood in the direction of the mains fuse box there is access to a small (same size as a plug socket) hole where these same wires seem to connect to the main power - but agin no fuse to mention here! Have checked with one of those electric tester screw drivers and it seems that there is power going in (not an expert).
Just checked the red / brown wire on both the connection points described above have power!
Hi
Ok in this case its hard wired into the socket instead of being on a plug top.
I don't know why fitters do this as when a bulb blows it can just blow the fuse were as if its hardwired then it usually blows the control board as there isn't a fuse it can blow.
You need to remove the filters from there and then remove the control unit from there and open the casing and see if this has blown. If it has then you will need to replace it to cure this.
And what I would do for future is replace the socket in the chimney section and put a plug top on there with a 3 amp fuse so if it happens again the fuse will blow instead of taking the control board out.
Regards
Great, when you say control unit do you mean the where the switches (lights on/off etc) are housed? I only ask as there is another black box directly accessible when filters are removed that seem to have loads of wires in it.
Hi
Ok if theres another box there then it has 2 boards in there. Open that one and see if theres burn marks on there and if that's fine then do the one with the switches on. As to be honest its usually the one with the switches on that blows.
But make sure you turn the power off at the mains first.
Regards
Hi Daniel,ok so I took off the control unit where the switches and light bulbs are. Upon opening there dis nothing more than some simple blue and brown wires plugged in to the white switch control and goin to the lights. Also nothing burned out or any signs of damage. I then proceeded to open up the central black box that sits just under the motor and seems to have all the power wires running into and out of. There is a PC board and plastic plugs that go into it but again no signs of damage here.Any suggestions?
Ok can you post the full model number please.
If you look under the hood with the filters removed there will be a sticker there with the details on it. It will start E-nr.
Regards