UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I came home to an empty house and a beeping and somehow the…

Customer Question
I came home to an...
I came home to an empty house and a beeping and somehow the door on my hotpoint fzfm171 had come open I had been out for 8 hours and it was closed when I left it wasn't defrosted much so I just closed the door and left it shut for a day when I opened it the fast freeze and hazard lights where still flashing but the food was mostly frozen this carried on for a while so I have now completely emptied it turned it off and left it for 24hours on switched it on I just have some peas in there which are frozen but the lights are still flashing can you help?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: UK Appliance
5/24/2015
UK Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 3 years ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Hi, I'm Daniel and I'll be helping you today I've been repairing white goods for 20+ yrs. and currently work for a well-know manufacturer.
You need to reset the controls to stop the lights from flashing.
All you do is turn the freezer control dial to off, Wait a few seconds for the lights to go out and then turn it back on again.
This will stop the lights from flashing and reset the controls.
Let me know how it goes.
Regards
I have turned the freezer knob to the off auto reset position but they are still flashing
Ok when you turned the dial to off and waited a few seconds did the lights go out?
Does the control dial feel very lose?
Regards
No the lights didn't go out I wouldn't say the control knob feels loose but it certainly isn't hard to turn it it moves quite eadily
Hi
Ok the control knob has broken. This can happen on these so when you turn the dial its not actually turning the part inside were the control board is so that's why its not resetting.
What you need to do is with a pair of pilers pull the control knob off.
Then very carefully use a small insulated screwdriver and look were the dial should go and you will see a switch on the board. Insert the screwdriver very carefully in there as the power will still be turned on as this can only be done plugged in im afraid so make sure its an insulated screwdriver.
Turn the switch in there anit clockwise till the leds go out.
Then turn it back on again and that will reset it.
Then you need to get a new dial in case it ever does it again.
Im afraid the above is trickey as you need to be very carefuly as it has to be plugged in for this to work.
Failing this you need to pull the dial off with the pilers and order the new dial and push that in then you can reset it from there.
Regarsd