Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My drier stops mid way through drying and red light comes on

Customer Question

My drier stops mid way through drying and red light comes on indicating filters are blocked, eventhough they might not be. It is a nuisance as I dont know that it will definately dry the clothes when used
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I'm Daniel and I'll be helping you today I've been repairing white goods for 20+ yrs. and currently work for a well-know manufacturer.

Can you post the make and model number please.

Regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Zanussi ZDE57140W

Electrolux is written under Zanussi

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Hi

Thanks for that. Lets see what the error code is stored in there.

Set the dryer going and then press and hold the start button and the button to the left of it.

Keep them held in and after a few seconds the leds will go out and the start light and the end light will be flashing.

You need to count the number of flashes from each of them inbetween the pause and let me know. Start with the end light first.

Regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel, I have tried what you suggested, but the start button keeps flashing. The button to the left(delicates) does not come on and the light at the end does not flash either. I notice that the start button is partially stuck, in that it doesnt totally come out to its normal position.

Thats all I can do for now.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thats all I can do for now.

Daniel can you suggest anything else for me to try?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I hope you can suggest something more I can do Please

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Hi

Sorry for the i had logged off for the night by the time you got back to me.

But lets try another way to get the code.

Turn the dial to off.

Press and hold the start button and the button to the left again.

Keep them held in and turn the dial 1 click clockwise.

Keep the 2 buttons held in till the leds flash and then let go.

Now turn the dial 9 clicks clockwise.

Now the start and end light will be flashing.

Count the number of flashes from each light inbetween the pause and let me know.

Then turn the dial off then on then back off again.

Regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

El I have tried what you suggested. Result : after the nine clicks start button flashes and drying, cooling and end/anticrease stay lit and don't flash.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok we are either having trouble getting the error code or there isnt one in there.

As to the actual fault how long does it run for before the lights come on?

Does it feel hot inside?

Also have you tried removing the vent at the back and running a cycle and see if it completes it ok like that?

Regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'll try to remove the back vent as I don't. Know the answer to the question you posed. I'll get back to later Daniel when we get the result. Thanks for your help so far.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
No worries thats fine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We foind the vent tubing out of place behind the machine. Not sure if pulling out machine dislodged it though. Seems to be working at present. Hopefully it wall continue to end of cycle. Thanks Daniel for your help. Perhaps that has rectified our problem. Rosarie Tiernan

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Hi

Fingers crossed thats sorted it. As if it doesnt vent correctly then it can cause problems like this.

But if it goes again then just get back to me.

Also if you could rate the answer that would be great.

Regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry to say that has not rectified the problem. The drier seems to stop at the same position showing the red filter light each time. Suffering from r"epetitive action syndrome"?

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok how long does it run for before this happens?

Can you feel air comming out the vent at the back?

And does it seem to be heating up ok?

Regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it seems to be heating up ok. Im not sure how long it remains on as I don't stand over it. Yes the air exits the vent outside. I'll give it another try tomorrow and pay more attention to timing etc. Thanks

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Hi

Ok try it then and see what happens.

But as theres no error code comming up and the vent and filters are all clear and it is heating then its possibley looking like the control unit is the issue here. As there isnt much in there that can cause this fault on vented dryers.

So if it keeps stopping like this to early and its not drying well and all the filters are clear then it just leaves the control board at fault on this im afraid which in this case will need to be replaced which isnt going to be a cheap fix.

Regards