Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Hi Daniel, I have a Hotpoint Frost-free Freezer, Model FZA50,

Hi Daniel, I have a Hotpoint Frost-free Freezer, Model FZA50, with the word FUTURE on the front of the appliance. It is kept in the garage. Over the past few weeks, the door has become difficult to close. A few days ago, the door must have become "unsealed" overnight, and was slightly ajar in the morning. Much of the food was now wet, but not completely defrosted. Today, we emptied the freezer, all 6 drawers. A build-up of ice had formed around the inside rear of the cabinet, and along the drawer guides. We turned the appliance upside down, and over a few hours, cleaned the inside of the condensed water. But still a bit of slush left, not so much as to interfere with the smooth running of the drawers along the guides. The problem is .. the door will only close with drawers 1, 2 & 6 in place. Drawers 3, 4 & 5 (5 being the big drawer)
in place prevent the door closing. It is as though these 3 drawers have "swelled". What's gone wrong Daniel? Can you please help? Thanks. Ian Morton. Nottingham.

Hi Ian , I'm Daniel and I'll be helping you today I've been repairing white goods for 20+ yrs. and currently work for a well-know manufacturer.

If you saw ice on the back wall then there will be a lot more behind it. So the ice builds up behind the panel and it pushes it forward and this causes the door not close proberly.

So what you need to do is either turn it off for 24 hours and keep the freezer door open.

Or empty the freezer and remove the back panel.

From there use a hair dryer to melt all the ice.

Then refit the panel and see how it goes from there.

But best not to turn it up side down as this can cause lots or problems as the oil from the compressor runs down into all the pipe work and blocks the capilery tubes. So upright it and don't turn it on and leave it to settle and hopefully turning it upside down hasn't damaged it.

But try and the defrost and see how it goes. But if say 3 weeks later it does the same again then theres a fault on the defrost side. Possibley either the defrost heater itself of sensor may be at fault.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Regards