Drcool
Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.
11923974

I have a side by side Samsung refridgerator. The number for

I have a side by side Samsung refridgerator. The number for ref is RSH/5UBTS s/n 115443C8900124 W Cannot locate where to change filter. Do we need a plumber to do this when we can find the filter please?

Drcool :

Hello, Have you checked the top refrigerator side for a white cup like filter. It should be inside the fridge, back side, top right. Or the filter could have not been installed and only a bypass cap is installed that is why you can not find the filter.

Customer:

Thank you. We think that no filter has been installed!

Drcool :

Did you see the bypass cap?

Customer:

No, I could not see a bypass cap.

Drcool :

It is like a white plastic round thing that you can turn and then you can replace it with the filter. Some where on the top part back side of the fridge.

Drcool :

By the way, is your water dispenser working? as well as your ice maker?

Customer:

We think that we may have found the filter. It is a long white cylindrical tube attached to the wall? Any thoughts?

Drcool :

That would be an external filter. In some units, if they can not use an original filter, they could install an external filter and it would do the same.

Drcool :

I am assuming the wall you are talking about is the outside wall near the unit? Or is it inside the fridge side wall?

Customer:

It is an external filter mounted on the wall next to the water pipe.

Drcool :

ok. That is what I thought of. Ok. So now you can replace that filter if that is 6 months old. No need to get a plumber to replace that. It could be using the quick connector fitting. Just push the collar and pull the tube to remove it from the filter . Before doing that, you have to close the water supply first.

Customer:

Thank you very much, we were given the wrong type of filter (as a spare) when we bought the fridge hence the confusion! We will get it changed.