Drcool
Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.
11923974

hi,hotpoint freezer has broken. on starting up fan kicks in

hi,hotpoint freezer has broken. on starting up fan kicks in then stops,any answers? thanks

Drcool :

Hello, May I know which fan is starting but then stopping? Was it the indoor fan or a fan on the outside near the compressor? ( In some models, there is a fan near the compressor to cool down the dynamic condenser.)

Drcool :

After you plug it in, is the compressor at the back kicks in too? Vibrates, Warm to the touch? ( Be careful, it could be too hot to handle ).

Customer:

hi,its the indoor fan,there is no fan near the compressor,yes compressor vibrates and is warm to touch.

Drcool :

Hello, thank you for those info. One last thing to do. Can you remove the inside back wall of the unit? This would expose the evaporator coil. It would tell me if you have a blocked evaporator coil that is why the fan is stopping, or the evaporator coil is not cold enough for the fan to run.?

Customer:

hi,only has internal fan,the compressor is getting hot as well.

Drcool :

Yes. That is the one inside. You would remove the back wall of the inside of the unit. Then you can see the status of the frost on the evaporator coil.

Customer:

hi,the evaporator coil drainage hole is not blocked and coil does not same to get cold.

Customer:

hi,evaporator coil has no frost on it

Drcool :

Ok. Thank you for that info. That would mean you have a refrigerant gas problem. Lack of gas that is why even though the compressor is running, there is no cooling on the evaporator coil. I am sorry but this is not a DIY. You would need a licensed engineer to handle the refrigerant.

Customer:

hi,so you think that the system needs regasing?

Drcool :

Yes, I believe so.

Customer:

Thanks,all the best.

Drcool :

Ok. You are very much welcome. Good luck on the repair. Thank you for using this service.