UK Appliance

UK Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

UK Appliance

Hi,id like to wash my shirts (white) with the lavamat 50212

Hi, i'd like to wash my...
i'd like to wash my shirts (white) with the lavamat 50212 wash machine. The problem is that they come out very much wrinkled.
Could you please give me advice in order to prevent this to occur (which program, spin speed,...)?

Thanks a lot
Joel-H.
12/25/2012
FitnessSpecialist
My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your questions.

Don't forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service. Remember that when you are asked to give a rating you are rating My Service and not this website or your situation.

Joel I think the issue isn't your choice of cycle, it might be the load composition or just nature of the beast with washing machines. I think the damp drying(spin) cycle inherently has a problem of being too "rough". All of my clothes regardless of fabric type come out wrinkled as well. There is just not a light tumble or light spin.

The differences will come in the drying cycle but for starters, I would treat the clothes on the handwash/gentle cycle which can be found with the hand shape on the dial.

I took a second to look up your manual for use http://www.electrolux-ui.com:8080/2007/132/975730en.pdf page 36 has the choices on that PDF.

If you are able to stop the machine itself midcycle I would recommend doing that after the last rinse, before the final spin. Although a hassel, I would remove them, give them a manual "snap" in the air to free them of binding from themselves then replace them into the washer, laying them out flat and smooth, this way the spin cycle will only spin them down, not spin them crumpled up.

I would do the same thing for however you plan to dry them. Take them out, snap and reset, then spin gently to dry.

I understand. The problem is that i'm too busy to spend much time on this :(

I finish the wash, then i throw all my shirts into the dryer (Brother BR 592XL).

My point is that i've just moved in to another apartment (rental), which has everything included (washer, dryer,...). However, in the previous apartment (also rental), which had another model of washer and dryer, there was a special program, both in the washer and dryer for shirts, so they come out great. Now, i can't find these options, in these other machines. So, i thought i'd ask someone who might be able to tell me how to set the appropriate program for that purpose.

Thanks.

Relist: Other.
The suggestion doesn't suit me.
Cerecita
Cerecita, Home Improvement Answer Team

Hello Joel and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it's my pleasure to help you today.

First, I would suggest that you don't load your washer with too many shirts; a lighter load will wash more efficiently and when the clothes are loaded more loosely, this will result in fewer wrinkles. If your shirts are made of 100% cotton, very often, they will require light ironing after they are removed from the dryer. However, if you don't have time for this, the following suggestions will be useful:

First, even though your shirts may be made of cotton, you can wash on a 'lighter' program like 'Easy-Care' or 'Easy Iron'. This will make the agitation speed slower. Your shirts will get clean, but sustain less wrinkles. You can also program it for 'Gentle Rinse'.

You can set the program on your washing machine to a lower spin speed and this will help lessen the wrinkles in your shirts. Here are instructions from your washer's user's manual on page 13, under "Changing the spin speed/Selecting rinse hold"

Changing the spin speed/Selecting rinse hold

The washing machine suggests the
maximum permitted spin speed
that is suitable for the selected programme.

You can reduce this spin
speed:

To do this press the Spin/ (RINSE
HOLD) button repeatedly until the
desired indicator lights up.

The speed for the final spin can still be altered during the programme.
To do this:

1. Press the (START/PAUSE) button.
2. Change the spin speed.
3. Press the (START/PAUSE) button again.

Adding fabric softener to the wash should also decrease wrinkling. You can do this in the middle compartment of the detergent dispenser drawer before starting the wash.

Make sure to put the wet clothes into the dryer immediately, and if they are 100% cotton, you can use the regular/cotton setting. Remove the shirts immediately, when the drying cycle is finished and hang on hangers. You can use fabric softener sheets in the dryer, as well, to minimize wrinkles.

I hope all these suggestions will help decrease the wrinkles in your shirts, with the minimum of effort.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please click 'Reply to Expert' before rating, direct your reply to me, "Cher", and I will be glad to continue our conversation.

Please rate with positive feedback (a smiley face) when you are satisfied with my answer. Thanks very much! Your satisfaction is always my greatest priority and my only goal is to provide you with Excellent Service!

~~If you wish to request me for a new question in the future, simply type "For Cher' to begin your post and I will answer asap!~~

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX Holidays,
Cher

Cerecita
Cerecita, Home Improvement Answer Team
Hello again, Joel.

I wanted to thank you very much for your positive rating and most generous bonus; they are both greatly appreciated and it was my pleasure to be of help to you!

If I can help you with any other questions in the future, please be sure to let me know by beginning your post with "For Cher" and typing your question in the question box, here:

Thanks again, and I hope you enjoy a great Holiday season!
Cher

Hi Cher,

Thanks again for your answer.

I don't know if i'm still allowed to clarify something about your answer?

I didn't understand what you've meant by "program for 'Gentle Rinse'". Is this the actual washing program, as it seems that this program only rinses but doesn't wash (soap,...)? Maybe you've meant after a program like 'Easy-Care' or 'Easy Iron', you've suggested? Which BTW are both at minimum 40 deg. and my shirts state max 30 deg., is it still ok to use those programs?

I'm looking forward for your prompt reply, as i'm preparing to wash my shirts right now. I wash my shirts once a week and now it's the time :)

Thanks a lot.

Joel.

Hi Cher,

Thanks again for your answer.

Thanks a lot.

Joel.

Hi again, Joel and thanks very much for your reply and also thanks for your patience!

We are in different time zones (I'm in the U.S.) and I just logged on and read your question.

Yes, you are always allowed to post back to this question at any time! Laughing

What I meant by "program for 'Gentle Rinse' " is not the actual washing program, but yes, only the rinse program. Use that, as you thought, after the washing program like 'Easy-Care' or 'Easy Iron'. If the manufacturer's washing instructions direct you to wash at a max 30 degrees, then follow those instructions and find which washing program is closest to 30 degrees.

My apologies if I delayed the washing of your shirts, today.

I wish you and yours a very Happy and Healthy New Year!

Best regards,

Cher

Thanks for your prompt reply.

So, if i understand you right, i shouldn't use neither the 'Easy-Care' nor 'Easy Iron' program, as they are from 40 degrees and above, and i need a 30 degrees program.

I'd like to rate your answer, but i just wanted to be sure i won't be charged again, as this is related to my original question :)

Thanks.

Joel.

Hi again, Joel and you're most welcome for the reply.

Yes, you didn't mention the manufacturer's instructions re: washing of the shirts originally, so try to follow those instructions and wash as close to 30 degrees as possible, with one of the other programs on your washer.

Since this is a follow up to your original question, there is no need to rate it again, but thank you for considering it! : )

Best regards,
Cher

Thanks.

You're most welcome, Joel!

If you ever have any future questions of a General nature, please request me by beginning your post with 'For Cher', posting in my 'Ask a Question' box here: http://www.justanswer.com/general/expert-Cher/ and I will answer you asap.

Have a great day! : )

Best regards,
Cher

Thanks.

I'd like to suggest one improvement. You're probably not the right person to refer to, so maybe you could pass this on to the right person. It would be great to be able to get a copy of all this discussion. I mean, people who has some questions, they get great answers, but they should be able to save a copy of all these, for a later use. We can't actually rely on the link to a webiste, which should hold all those discussions :)

Thanks.

Joel.

Hi again Cher,

I've just completed the wash of my shirts, even though i've done everything according to your suggestions, including the fabric softener, lower spin speed, softener sheets, only 7 shirts per wash,... i can't see any improvement, lots of wrinkles :(

BTW, my shirts are 40% cotton and 60% polyester, if it matters. Also, as i've said before, in the past, using other machines, it was really perfect. Now, i can't wear my shirts without a sweater :(

I'd like to know if you can think of anything else that could help?

Thanks.

Joel.

Hi again, Joel and thanks for your reply.

Sorry, I hadn't seen your first reply re: saving these conversations, until just now. You can always access all your questions and answers by clicking on 'My Questions' which should be a tab up above, near the top of the page; or you might be able to access that function from your profile. If not, you can always print out your conversations or copy and paste them into your email, address it to yourself, and send.

You hadn't mentioned that your shirts were 40% cotton and 60% polyester, and this may have a bearing on the settings you use. Please allow me a little time to review the programs on your washing machine and see what different plan of action can be utilized to decrease the wrinkles in your shirts. I'm very surprised they came out wrinkled, especially if they are 60% polyester. You did put them into the dryer immediately, when the wash cycle was finished, right?

Best regards,
Cher

Sure, just like you said.

Also, please bare in mind that my shirts are at 30 degrees, not 40, this limits quite a lot of options :(

Yes, i'm surprised too, this is quite bothering, especially because i remember that with the previous machines, my shirts looked liked ironed. It was really time saving. There was a program for delicate stuff, both for the wash and the dryer. So, i guess there should be a similar option here too, but i can't manage to find it :(

Thanks Cher, for all your efforts, i really appreciate it.

Joel.

Hi again, Joel and you're most welcome.

It's always my pleasure to be of help to you! : )

It's always been my experience, just as yours, that especially when shirts are more polyester than cotton, they're called 'wash and wear', because they're so easy to wash, dry and then wear without ironing, right out of the dryer.

I'll post back as soon as I have some new information for you. Your patience is appreciated!

Best regards,
Cher

Thanks a lot, Cher.

Joel.

No problem, Joel!

Cher

P.S. No need to reply right now, even though this says it's a 'request for information'. I have all your information already, and will post back as soon as I can, with additional ideas. Thanks!

Hi again, Joel and thanks so much for your patience.

I see that your washer does have a 'Programme for easy-care mixed fibres and synthetics' and a 'Gentle programme' which can wash at 30 degrees, in addition to 40. However, I'm thinking that the problem may not be with the washing (if you follow manufacturer's directions), but, perhaps, with the drying. I initially presumed your shirts were 100% cotton, but if they are 40% cotton and 60% polyester, you'll want to dry them on a low temperature setting, and for a shorter amount of time. You can even take them out of the dryer while they're still slightly damp, and hang them on hangers and this should prevent wrinkling.

Try these suggestions, and if it comes to it, you might have to have your shirts professionally laundered and pressed, to ensure they are wrinkle-free.

Best regards,
Cher

Thank you Cher, i'll try
Joel.
Hi again, Joel and you're most welcome!

Sorry for the delay; I was just notified of your reply.

Best regards,
Cher
Cerecita
Cerecita
Cerecita, Home Improvement Answer Team