Drcool
Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.
11923974

I HAVE A MATAG AMERICAN STYLE FRIDGE FREEZER COMPRESSOR GONE,

I HAVE A MATAG AMERICAN STYLE FRIDGE FREEZER COMPRESSOR GONE, MODEL GC2225GEKB I WANT TO PUT A 1/3 HP EMBRACO COMPRESSOR ON IT , THE THREE WIRES GOING TO THE RELAY ON THE TECUMESH COMP ARE 1 BLUE 2 WHITE THE RELAY HAS A CAPASITOR ON IT= THE QUESTION IS DO THE WHITE WIRES GO TO THE OVERLOAD ON THE EMBRACO RELAY AND THE BLUE TO NEUTRAL

Drcool :

Hello, Here is the schematic diagram of the refrigerator with the old compressor connected. Please click the blue word. The white wires are connected to the relay and the blue wire goes to the overload. So, using the new compressor, you can hook the blue to the overload and the two white wires to the relay.

Customer:

thank you do you know the cc of the compressor for this model

Drcool :

What do you mean CC? Its cubic centimeter volumetric rate of the compressor? If it is, give me the model number of the old compressor and maybe I can find it for you. But using a 1/3 HP compressor would really be a best substitute. I would just use a capacitor start compressor if I were you. If the 1/3 HP Embraco compressor has a capacitor, then I would go for it. But if it has no starting capacitor, then it would have a set of oil coolers, then I would insist that you use the oil cooler tubes. Use them before the filter drier or after the condenser coil. This would cool the oil of the compressor.

Customer:

THE OLD COMPRESSOR DOES HAVE I START CAP THE NEW EMBRACO DOESNT HAVE ONE I HAVE NOT EVER HAD TO PUT CAPASITORS ON BEFORE WHY DO THEY NEED THEM

Drcool :

Hello, sorry for the delay and the confusion. There are 1/3 HP Embraco compressor which has starting capacitors and there are models that do not have. Those that have starting capacitors are what we call High back compressors. Meaning it could start even when under load and that is an advantage. But if you can only buy 1/3 HP without starting capacitors, then that is fine too. These are called low back compressors and these would do also on refrigerators and freezers. And also, sometimes, on these models, there are extra copper tubes we call the oil coolers. If they have , I am just telling you to use them. These are installed there because they are used as oil coolers. I have seen some people ignoring these tubes since they have no place to put them on the old system since the old compressor does not have oil coolers. So what would happen is the new compressor would not last long since it is over heating. You can install the oil coolers after the condenser and before the filter drier.

Drcool :

This is an example of a compressor with oil coolers. Please click the blue words. The two lower pipes with rubber stub are the oil coolers. They are just through and through and not connected with the other pipes on the compressor. The oil coolers are coiled at the lower part of the oil sump to cool the oil of the compressor.

Drcool :

This is an example of a compressor with out an oil cooler but is not a capacitor start compressor either.