Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

my hotpoint wml540 washing machine stops when it gets to the

Customer Question

my hotpoint wml540 washing machine stops when it gets to the pump out cycle (C)

I have checked the chamber at the front of the unit by popping off the front panel and unscrewing and draining. Water smells quite stagnant.

I have checked the hose for any blockage and also checked the trap under the sink.

Sounds like it could be the drain pump?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.

Hi

Is it leaving the water in still?

If set to a spin is there a humming noise from the bottom were the filter is?

Regards

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry!

Meant to say that it doesnt spin!

Have tried putting it on the pump cyle and it all sounds like its working but have held the hose and dont think that any water is being pumped out.

If i put it on the spin cycle it doesnt spin also.

The clothes are soaking wet obviously when you take them out

Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.

Hi

Ok if it doesnt drain the water out then it wont do a spin.

What you can try is remove the filter again and this time look inside the chamber were the filter goes and at the back you will see the pump impeller X shape. Make sure theres nothing jammed up in there stopping it from turning.

The impeller should ping round in stages. If its stiff to turn then the pump will need to be replaced.

Also check were the drian hose goes to. If it goes under a sink then take the spigot off and make sure theres nothing stuck in there.

But if it still isnt drianing the water out then its possibley a faulty pump.

Regards

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi

I have checked the filter and the impellor spins and clicks in gradual positions so that looks ok. I have checked the spigot and again nothing is stuck in there.

Is the pump something i can fit myself. I am technically minded and not clueless. Or would you recommend a professional fitting it?

Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.

Hi

These are quite easy to fit.

Lean the washer backwards and look underneath. You will see the screws holding it on. Remove these and then remove the clips on the hoses and you can remove the pump from there.

If you have a multimeter you can test to pump for contonuity to make sure it is the pump at fault here.

Regards