UK Appliance

UK Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

UK Appliance

Hi! re BOSCH washing machine WET 2820 Program will start,

Hi! re BOSCH washing machine...
Hi! re BOSCH washing machine WET 2820

Program will start, and then for 20 secs approx start normally - there is water noises coming form the soap dispenser - water starts to enter the drum to a shallow level. Then it stops, nothing happens.
I have cleaned the soap dispenser and cleaned the suds pump as instructed in the manual and removed a lot of fluff etc from the rubber door seal. I have checked the drum moves both ways and the belt is intact. After this I tried running a standard 30* program and the same problem occurred. Now the machine is stuck with 'door' light on and I can not open the door. I have tried switching the machine on and off using the dial and at the wall but the door light is still on.

Can you please suggest something to try and remedy the problem please? many thanks! Mike
12/8/2011
The Famous Forry
The Famous Forry, Home Appliance Technician

The Famous Forry :

Hi Mike from David, 'The Famous Forry'

The Famous Forry :

Please can you drain out the water first. There is a small bore drain pipe in the filter door, Bottom right corner on the front. Thankyou.

Customer:

ok, doing it now, thanks

The Famous Forry :

Once drained, open door then close again securely and set machine to DRAIN only. Do you hear the pump working?

The Famous Forry :

Is the door locking? You should hear quiet click as it locks if you listen out for it just after turning on.

Customer:

ok, trying to find out how to set machine to drain only, looking in the manual

The Famous Forry :

I f you can not find Drain only SPIN will do.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

i've activated a spin cycle - it was making a noise from the motor area - but it didn't spin

The Famous Forry :

Did the drum turn at all? Very important

Customer:

just tried it again to make sure and there was some noise for a few minutes from bottom of machine, but the drum remained stationary

Customer:

hello?

The Famous Forry :

hi

The Famous Forry :

Im still here

Customer:

The Famous Forry :

Your next task is to remove the motor. So ISOLATE your appliance from the mains electric please. Plug out completely!

Customer:

ok

The Famous Forry :

Are you able to do this?

The Famous Forry :

10 or 13 mm bolts I believe

Customer:

yes should be ok, give me 10 mins or so

Customer:

there's loads of carbon dust around - does this offer a clue?

The Famous Forry :

YES ; We will soon have you working

The Famous Forry :

Where are you located Mike?

Customer:

hackney

The Famous Forry :

ok How are you doing? Motor off yet?

Customer:

my tools aren't up to it, just popping around the corner to get a proper ratchet

The Famous Forry :

Okee dokee

Customer:

its off

The Famous Forry :

Well done.

Customer:

ta

The Famous Forry :

Please now remove carbon Brushes

Customer:

what are the carbon brushes?

The Famous Forry :

To do this, Take of the wire connector. To remove wire spade connector you may have to push the reverse of the spade connector as they have a tiny retainer that prevents it coming off accidentally

The Famous Forry :

You can see a wire spade connected each side?

The Famous Forry :

Hello Mike.

Customer:

hi, i've been looking at it and comparing with videos etc online and i cant locate the wire brushes

The Famous Forry :

Send picof motor and I will oint out to you.

Customer:

there are two rectangular spaces either side where it looks like something could fit in, but they appear empty and there's no brass attachment but like i've seen in the videos

The Famous Forry :

Please hit the ACCEPT TAB for my efforts so far and we will continue

The Famous Forry :

Hello ,You still there Mike?

Customer:

taking a photo

The Famous Forry :

OK

Customer:

how can i send them to you please?

The Famous Forry :

upload to this site

The Famous Forry :

Click on paperclip and then browse to find your picture

Customer:

did you see the pics David?

The Famous Forry :

Just looking

The Famous Forry :

Can you see any long grey wires on the motor with a single spade on the end?

The Famous Forry :

Do more pictures going around the full casing please

Customer:

no, i can see inside twisted copper wires

The Famous Forry :

Thats the windings I would think

Customer:

5
Full Size Image

Customer:

6
Full Size Image

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

8
Full Size Image

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

what do you think?

The Famous Forry :

Can you state the full model number WET 2820GB/01 or is it EU/01 etc. Quite important

Customer:

WET2820GB

Customer:

WET2820GB/13

Customer:

that's written on the back

The Famous Forry :

OK 1 moment

Customer:

thanks

The Famous Forry :

Ok Mike show me one more picture of the motor casing area opposite the main connection plug

The Famous Forry :

opposite the white plug that you unplugged the motor from

Customer:

ok

The Famous Forry :

cheers

Customer:

11
Full Size Image

The Famous Forry :

Other end all around Mike

The Famous Forry :

It is the other end where the brushes go

Customer:

ok

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

did you get the picture ok?

The Famous Forry :

Looking at your LAST picture Turn motor1/4 turn left and take picof side closest to this end and then same other side

The Famous Forry :

This is the part you may well need. This is the motor end cap and houses the brushes. I was trying to see where your brushes go in as it would be a lot cheaper that way.5045172155986 Google theunderlined number. Back in 20 mins . my break.!!

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

ok see you in 20, it seems that the carbon brushes have no holder

The Famous Forry :

Hi Mike I'm Back

The Famous Forry :

Yes but the brushes are listed seperately as a spare from my supplier. It just maybe that the only way to fit them is remove the yop case. Seems logical to me

Customer:

ok, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX tell me that i definitely need that part? it's £60 which is quite a lot but if i really need it i really need it.. do i need to buy official bosch carbon brushes or can i buy the cheaper ones?

Customer:

2. also i was wondering - has the unit at the moment got carbon brushes correctly attached? i can't see the wires connected you see and wondering how it managed to work in this case - see the washing machine has been working fine for the 1.5 years i've owned it

The Famous Forry :

I would suggest

The Famous Forry :

That you open the motor and then try and get out just the brushes as i can supply you these for £20 and the risk is then far less. It is your choice but I can not guarantee. If you get the old ones out I can see how worn they are.

The Famous Forry :

They may not have wires , just a carbon druch ring holder internally.

The Famous Forry :

Please click the ACCEPT TAB

The Famous Forry :

You still there Mike?

The Famous Forry :

I leave at 10.30pm.

Customer:

hi yes, thanks for your patience with this David!

Customer:

i've been taking it apart

Customer:

to try to figure out how to replace the carbon brushes like you suggested

Customer:

here's a few pics - perhaps you can make sense of them?

The Famous Forry :

Great!

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Full Size Image

The Famous Forry :

Big result Mike BIG RESULT.

Customer:

:-)

The Famous Forry :

This can work tonight without any new part I reckon

Customer:

oh yes?

The Famous Forry :

Can you re-assemble all this ok

Customer:

hope so!

Customer:

what re you thinking?

The Famous Forry :

Right are you ready

Customer:

yes

The Famous Forry :

Ok look at first of the last pictures you just sent

The Famous Forry :

RE-SEND it so I know your on the right one

Customer:

Full Size Image

The Famous Forry :

Full Size Image

Customer:

ok

The Famous Forry :

Yes, Now looking at the picture, the brush on the left sticks out where as the other one is STUCK in the chamber. Carefully loosen this and then check it springs in and out .....gently !!! gently. There brittle and £20 plus vat

The Famous Forry :

Gave me 5 mins while you carefully do this. DONT BREAK IT !!!!!

Customer:

ah, good thinking, thing is though - the one on the right isn't stuck i don;t think - it is a LOT shorter than the other - i took it out

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

it's like a tiny nub - seems best to replace it no?

The Famous Forry :

Ok IT is worn as I first thought.

The Famous Forry :

YES

Customer:

great

The Famous Forry :

Take good picture of brush and let me see. Do you want a set posting to you

The Famous Forry :

I can send you a little bit of commy stick to clean commy professionally

Customer:

taking pic now

The Famous Forry :

can you see how it fully detaches

The Famous Forry :

if so, show pic of both ends including attachment end

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Full Size Image

The Famous Forry :

Can you remove the carbon brush and detach the copper strand taking care how it detaches and re-attaches

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

the carbon brush is very firmly attached to the copper strand

The Famous Forry :

Take the carbon brush out of the slidiing brass chamber and detach the copper strand from the motor , not the carbon brush, so you end up with just the brush and copper strand in your hand.

The Famous Forry :

Detach copper from motor end ,,,,,,not the brush iyself

Customer:

it appears that the copper strand is attached to the carbon brush at one end and the brass plate by two connections. these connections appear to be an industrial process (not soldered)

Customer:

i'm wondering if it is necessary to replace the whole unit: i.e carbon brush and brass encasing unit

The Famous Forry :

It may be but brushes are listed seperately in my supplies

The Famous Forry :

I would try and work out how it comes off from the motor end to save money. Can you send top quality pics of this end so I can see if it is a possibillity

Customer:

ok

The Famous Forry :

Thanks

Customer:

Full Size Image

The Famous Forry :

Great

The Famous Forry :

I have a cheaper solution

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

ok

The Famous Forry :

Buy the brushes and then solder the new brush to the old already attached copper wire (The same) length and away you go . JOB DONE RE-ASSEMBLE and pat yourself on the back!

The Famous Forry :

It will unsolder if you like. Do you have a solder pump and a good solder gun?

Customer:

cunning! have you done this before? does carbon solder well to copper?

The Famous Forry :

Brilliantly !

The Famous Forry :

Call me on 07813 047 557

The Famous Forry :

No not carbon to copper, copper strand to motor anchorage point! It is soldered at 2 points if you look at your last picture

The Famous Forry :

Like spot welded>

Customer:

so the carbon brush has inside a metal point to solder to?

The Famous Forry :

no

The Famous Forry :

Please ring 07813 047 557

Customer:

ok

The Famous Forry :

Please click the ACCEPT tab Mike if your satisfied with all the help and advice I have gaven you regrads David. Merry Christmas.

Customer:

hi, yes will do David - I just need to make sure i'm ordering the correct part to replace the worn carbon brushes - measurements are 12mm x 5mm x 5 mm - no length measurement obviously as the brushes are worn. i've foound this online - does it look right? http://www.buyspares.co.uk/washing-machine/wet2820gb13/carbon-brushes/product.pl?pid=943962&shop=bosch&path=112757&refine=motor&model_ref=402274

Customer:

just wanted to clarify with you the expert if that's ok - the product linked has a spring attached which mine doesn;t have. thank you for all your help yesterday im definitely going to write a mega good review for you! thanks, mike

Customer:

the brushes have this written on the top:

Customer:

03

Customer:

902

Customer:

sorry correction:

Customer:

03

Customer:

0902

Customer:

the writing is same as this product, only different numbers - do you know what they mean please?

Customer:

http://www.espares.co.uk/part/washing-machines/bosch/wet2820gb%2f13/p/1085/856/0/481311/481833/siemens-carbon-brush---pa.html

Customer:

or this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-Neff-Washing-Machine-Carbon-Brushes-/260732477653?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Washing_Machines_Dryers_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item3cb4dde0d5

The Famous Forry :

Will check out when im back at 4.30 mike

The Famous Forry :

It is not the spring ones though

Customer:

thanks

The Famous Forry :

Hi Mike I can get the correct brushes for you at £15.25 plus £2.50 postage if you want them. The link you sent is not working for me. Ifyou want these for tomorrow I have to order before 4pm today

Customer:

thanks for your help David, I think i found some on eBay so will hope they are ok, on a tight budget here so went for them as they were £5 incl postage - thanks for your help! Mike

The Famous Forry
Gave me the link to the ones on ebay if you like and I can check them out>
The Famous Forry
The Famous Forry