UK Appliance

UK Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

UK Appliance

hi my bosch maxx washing machine keeps blowing my trip switch

Customer Question
iv put new brushes in...
hi my bosch maxx washing machine keeps blowing my trip switch iv put new brushes in it cause they where gone but its still doing it any idea why?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: UK Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/31/2011
UK Appliance Technician: Techdesk, Field Service Engineer replied 6 years ago
Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer

Hiya,

When you try the machine what exactly happens?

Is it tripping an RCD or an MCB?

Do you have, and can you use, a multimeter?

Thanks

when i put it on a spin cycle it spins for about 10 seconds then the motor sparks and there is a burning smell and it blows the main trip switch for the whole house. not sure what a multimeter is.

Hiya,

OK, you can't test anything as you don't have, and don't know, what a multimeter is.

The RCD is tripping.

How badly is the motor sparking?

If you turn the drum by hand, is there a clicking noise from the motor?

Thanks

my partner has a multimeter i know what that is now just googled it haha it only sparks a little and there is a clicking noise from the motor when its turnt by hand.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

Take the motor out again and check the carbon brushes are the right way round.

If they are the wrong way round, you get clicking and sparking.

Check the armature of the motor, the part the carbons sit on.

Are there any raised or damaged segments?

Let me know what you find.

Thanks

how do i know if the brushes are the wrong way around?

Hiya,

By taking them out and checking they lie flat against the armature and not point onto it.

Thanks

brushes in the correct way and no damage

Hiya,

OK, so where is the clicking noise from on the motor?

There should be no arcing from the brushes if they are fitted correct and there is no damage to the armature.

Thanks

i took the brushes out and put them the right way around so theres no clicking noise now. But my washing machine still wont spin.

Hiya,

Sorry, it's still tripping the mains?

Thanks

no not tripping the mains any more. making a noise like its spinning but the brum's not moving.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

Is the motor running?

Is that the noise you hear?

If so, is the belt on?

Thanks

yep the belts on correct. if i spin the drum with my hand it will spin by its self after but it will only spin twice and then stop again like its jamed or something but checked and cant see anything jamed

Hiya,

If it spins freely by hand I'm afraid that this still seems to be a problem with the motor carbons.

Check the carbons haven't stuck.

Thanks

ok ill try it and get back to u thanks
Rob
Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician