UK Appliance

UK Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

UK Appliance

Bosch Maxx WFL2260. My washing machine is not draining away

after programme. The motor engages...
Bosch Maxx WFL2260. My washing machine is not draining away after programme. The motor engages, the drum turns so I believe the issue is a blockage. However, when I remove the filter/ drain cover at bottom front right, there is a further white disc behind ehich I am unable to remove. Can you advise how I might do this please. Also, is there a need to access the machine from the back? Thank you.
11/29/2010
Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer

Hiya,

When you unscrew and take off the filter, is it just a cap?

Thanks

There is a dropdown flap on the front panel. Removing this shows a black cap which unscrews anti-clockwise. When I remove the cap there is a further white disc type thing which looks like it might unscrew(there are two flanges on the outer edge which look like they might be used for leverage)but I do not have a tool to loosen it - if in fact I do need to loosen/ remove it. Thanks.

Hiya,

The black part is the top of the filter.

The white disc is normally attached to the cap.

The white disc is the back end of the filter.

When you unscrew the cap it should be a case of pulling the cap and the rest of the filter comes out with it.

As your cap is not attached, you need to try and prise the rest of the filter out, taking care not to damage the filter housing.

A couple of flat bladed items (knives?) may to the trick.

Your filter should look something like this. (Click on the link).

Hope this is of some help

Let me know how it goes or if you need more help

Thanks

Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Thanks for that. Following your advice I have now managed to prise out the back (white disc) part of the filter and both parts together do look like the catalogue part - I live in a heavy limescale area and it looks like the back part of the filter was limed tight. I have cleared the gunge from the filter lining (not a lot if truth be told) and checked that the impeller is turning. It is.

I guess what I need to know now is whether there may be a blockage somewhere else - eg a sock or something jammed somewhere. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks again.

Hiya,

With the filter out, the best way to check is to take the drain hose out or off of the house drains.

Clean the end of the hose and then blow as hard as you can back down the drain hose.

If it's blocked with scale, you'll likely need to replace it or clean it out.

If you can blow through it, refit the filter.

Lift the drain hose up so it's as high as the top of the machine.

Put some water into the drum using a jug (you only need a litre or 2 to test the machine).

Aim the drain hose into a bucket.

Switch the machine onto a drain only or spin only programme.

If it pumps the water out, it's working.

if it doesn't, you have a blockage.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks

tHANKS AGAIN AND SORRY FOR DELAY IN COMING BACK. hAVE BLOWN DOWN THE DRAIN-OUT HOSE AND MANAGED (oops!) to dislodge a load of scale. Irony is the problem arose because I put the machine on a 90 degree C cycle last night to help with de-scaling and that is when the problem arose.

I have had to apply descaler gel to the inside of the drain pump chamber as it is too clogged up with limescale to allow re-insertion of the the filter..... I wiull follow the rest of your advice when the limescale has dissolved and get back to you. Thanks again.

Hiya,

No problem.

Good luck with it.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks

No good. Water still not draining - it pushes through a little water along with scale but then no more. Looks like a new hose may be needed? Is that something I can do myself - don't really fancy taking off back of machine if it might start to get complicated. Thanks.

Hiya,

It's fairly easy to change the hose.

It does involve taking the rear cover off though.

Unplug the appliance.

Take the rear panel off.

Look in and at the lower front you'll see the hose attached to the pump.

Take the clip off.

Take the hose off (it will be tight on so you need to lever it off).

Take it out of the appliance. (Take the plastic part on the rear off to release the hose.

Fit the new hose and reassemble the appliance.

Have a look at it, see what you think.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Will give it a go and get back to you later this afternoon when I have got hose etc. Thanks again.

Hiya,

Ok thanks for that.

Good luck with it.

Thanks

Just a quick update. As a final attempt before getting new hose etc, I have just put some concentrated descaler into the hosepipe and suspended it so that the pipe was full of descaler plus boiling water. After ten mins I ran a rinse cycle with hose in bucket. Brilliant! The pipe emptied completely and, boy, was it ever full of crap!

Thank you very much for your assistance and guidance on this. Excellent and will not hesitate to use again/ recommend. Thanks a million.
Just a quick note to let you know I have now "Accepted" your answer. Eleven quid well spent. Thanks again.

Hiya,

Thanks for that.

Good luck with the appliance.

I'm in a hard water area too.

Once a month I run a maintenance wash with 1/2 cup of soda crystals. (much cheaper than calgon) to keep the limescale down.

Thank you for the payment, it is appreciated.

Thanks

Techdesk
Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer