UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Zanussi ZWX 1605W. The cycle stops as it starts to…

I have a Zanussi ZWX...
I have a Zanussi ZWX 1605W. The cycle stops as it starts to spin with a grinding noise almost as if something is stuck. When it's turned off and on again it will go on but stops when it comes to the next spin. Can take a full day to get 1 wash done. I've had it checked and cleared of a few pennies but not enough to buy a new machine!! I've been advised that it could be the main circuit board. I'm afraid to get a call out and be charged to be told I need a new machine. Help!!
6/29/2010
Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer

Hiya,

Switch the appliance on.

Close the door.

Wait one minute.

Press and hold together the start/pause and skip/reset buttons.

If you have a time display it will show an error code. Let me have the code.

If no time display, count the flashes between pauses from the end light.

Then do the same with the start light.

Let me know how many flashes from each of them, end light first.

Thanks

Hi

3 flashes from the end light and 2 flashes from the start light. Amazed at how these things work!!

Hiya,

Ok thanks for that.

That's a fault with the pressure system so shouldn't make a grinding noise.

Switch the appliance off.

Press and hold the two buttons again.

While holding them, switch on.

The machine will beep or flash the leds.

Let go of the buttons and the leds will scroll.

Press and release the Fabric button till you get the middle led of the second column lit.

This should run the drain pump, listen to see if the noise is from there.

It will also run the motor and spin the drum.

Let me know what happens.

After this, switch the appliance off, on and then off again.

Thanks

Sorry just checked again. Its actually 5 from the end light and 2 from the start! Sorry.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

Error E52 is a fault in the motor circuit.

As you get a grinding noise I would suggest that the fault is with the motor and not with the main circuit board.

Having said that, a faulty motor can lead to a damaged board.

Click here for a replacement motor

Given the price of the motor (you may be able to find it a little cheaper with other suppliers) I would suggest getting a quote from www.repaircare.co.uk

Their price includes parts and labour.

Sorry it's not good news.

Unplug the appliance, tilt it rearward (have someone hold it for you) and check the motor to see if anything has fallen off of it or if there is any obvious signs of damage.

If you find something hanging out of the end of the motor, refit it and try the machine again.

Hope this is of some help

Let me know how it goes or if you need more help

Thanks

Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Thanks a million. Just have to inform my hubby of the good news! Might be best to just get a new machine at that price as I think I have mine about 4 years now. They just don't make them like they used to. Still amazed at how it works though!

Hiya,

Thank you for the payment, it is appreciated.

Good luck with the new appliance, or the repair, whichever way you decide to go.

Thanks