UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have a whirlpool side by side upright freezer. Late last…

Customer Question
We have a whirlpool side...
We have a whirlpool side by side upright freezer. Late last night when opening the fridge door there was a bang and pop which knocked the appliance out along with other power supplies in the house. When we checked the consumer unit, the power trip had tripped out. When trying to reset with the fridge door open it wouldn't reset. When the door was closed the trip would reset. Opening the freezer door wasn't a problem and the light stayed on. Every time we opened the fridge door it tripped out and there was no light in the compartment. We left this overnight and this morning everything was still cold. The trip didn't knock out when the door was opened but the light is now out in the freezer compartment as well. Is it just the bulb which has gone in both compartments or is there something else of concern.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Appliance
6/29/2010
UK Appliance Technician: Techdesk, Field Service Engineer replied 8 years ago
Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer

Hiya,

Can you check your model number please?

The model you post isn't recognised by Whirlpool.

Thanks

Can't tell which model number it is but it is around 10 years old and a a 'Sixth Sense' one - is this useful at all

Hiya,

OK, without the correct model number I have to assume it's the Italian made machine.

The most likely cause of the fault will be the lamp holder in the fridge.

Unplug the appliance, take the lamp cover off and remove the bulb.

Take the lamp holder assembly out and check the wiring to it.

If it's all ok and the holder looks ok it may well be that the bulb was causing your problem.

Replace the bulb and try the machine again.

Check the bulb in the freezer and check that the door switch is working properly.

Let me know what you find.

If you can find the model number I can then look up the service manual and advise a bit more on this.

Hope this is of some help

Let me know how it goes or if you need more help

Thanks

Edited by Fred Bloggs on 6/29/2010 at 10:35 AM EST