UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have an AEG Lavamat w/m. Its 5 yrs old. During normal washing…

Customer Question
We have an AEG Lavamat...
We have an AEG Lavamat w/m. It's 5 yrs old. During normal washing functions there is hardly any noise. When it spins however it sounds like Concorde taking off!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Appliance
6/28/2010
UK Appliance Technician: Techdesk, Field Service Engineer replied 8 years ago
Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer

Hiya,

Open the door of the appliance.

With your palm upward lift the inner drum edge slowly until you get the weight of the tub on.

Is there a lot of movement?

Press down hard on the bottom of the inner drum.

Rotate the drum 1/4 turn each direction.

Does it feel or sound rough?

Check the weights on the appliance.

Unplug the appliance and take the top off.

Check the weight to see if it's loose.

Check the weight on the front too.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks

Top's off and weight is very wobbly. Lots of movement towards the front and then towards the back of the machine.

Hiya,

The movement of the tub doesn't count.

It's the movement of the weights, if it's moving.

This would be independant of the tub moving.

Thanks

The weight and tub are not moving independently. If you move the weight the tub moves too and vice versa.

Inner drum appears to be normal when I do as you suggested. No grinding sound and feels smooth to turn.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

If the drum and the weights are all fine then the suspension legs are the next thing to check.

Ensure they haven't broken free of the outer tub.

There are two legs, one either side of the tub.

Check these.

If they are ok, the only thing left is the feet on the machine.

If all 4 feet are not firmly in contact with the floor it will generate a knocking noise when it spins.

If everything here checks out ok then I'm afraid you'll need a hands on engineer to come in and try and diagnose the problem.

Good luck.

Thanks