UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

hi i have a samsung side by side fridge freezer model number…

Customer Question
hi i have a samsung...
hi i have a samsung side by side fridge freezer model number RSH1DTSW THE FREEZER IS WORING GREAT BUT THE FRIDGE HAS STOPPED WORKING THE TEMPATURE IS AT 13 INSTEAD OF 3 HAVE SWITCHED IT OFF AND LEFT IT FOR A FEW DAYS BUT IT DIDNOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE. PLEASE HELP
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Appliance
6/9/2010
UK Appliance Technician: Techdesk, Field Service Engineer replied 8 years ago
Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer

Hiya,

How old is the appliance?

Is there ice behind the drawer?

Has the fan in the fridge been making any noise?

Thanks

THE APPLIANCE IS 3 YEARS OLD NO THERE IS NO ICE BEHIND THE DRAWER THER WAS ICE IN FRIDGE BEFORE I SWITCHED IT OFF AND YES THE FAN HAD AND HAS BEEN MAKING A NOISE.IS IT WORTH FIXING IM AT MY WITS END THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HGELPING ME.

Hiya,

I've got some interesting news for you that may well make your day.

This is a known fault on the Samsung side by side appliances.

There is a fault in the defrost system and the thermal fuse (at least) will have blown so the machine no longer defrosts the evaporator in the fridge.

This leads to a blockage in the evaporator, a build up of ice and gives you the noise from the fan as it strikes the ice and the cooling problems.

The good news is, Samsung extended the warranty on their appliances to 5 years for the cooling fault only.

(They have been repairing machines as old as 7 years too).

Give Samsung a call, advise them of the problems you are having with the fridge side of the appliance (only the fridge cooling problem is covered by this warranty).

Tell them of the cooling problem, the noise from the fan and the ice.

They should then book you in for a free repair.

While on the phone to them, ask them if your appliance is included in the safety recall.

If it is, they will arrange for a modification to be made to the electronics on the appliance.

Give them a call, see what they say.

Any problems, let me know and I can advise on self repair if necessary.

Hope this helps

Let me know how it goes or if you need more help

Thanks

hi thank you so much for ur information its really helpfull i rang them yesterday and they said it does not qualify to be fixed for nothing how do i get it fixed myself its £90 Call out fee for samsung and them whatever the part costs after that is it worth fixing wish you lived near as you are the only one thatt has given me answersthank you so so much.

Hiya,

I'm surprised that it doesn't qualify. Did they say why? Are they saying it's only the RS21 that's covered now?

The basic fault is likely to be the thermal fuse on the defrost element has blown.

You'll need to first turn the fridge off and fully defrost the fridge.

Once you've done that, unplug the appliance and take the cover behind the drawer off.

This cover has the fan fitted to it and it will reveal the evaporator.

On the right side of the evaporator, clipped to it (or cable tied) is the thermal fuse and defrost sensor.

Click here for instructions on parts and how to replace them

The cover is the expensive part I'm afraid.

However, if you have good diy skills, look closely at the modification.

They fit a metal strip to the evaporator to transfer heat to a metal strip on the fan housing.

You could quite easily make these metal parts yourself to transfer the heat and in the process save the cost of the cover.

If you feel after reading the above that you can't or don't want to attempt this yourself, obtain a quote from www.repaircare.co.uk

Their price includes parts and labour.

They may not replace the cover though so unless it's modified or changed, the problem will return.

Good luck with it.

Thanks

thank you for your help i am so pleased to get answers at last i will try and get it fixed myself. thank you so very very much. its the best money i have ever spent getting this answered. just 1 last question would you have any idea what the part would cost.

Hiya,

The thermal fuse is around £14

The sensor is around £11

The new cover is around £82.

Modify your existing cover and you'll spend around £25 (the parts can be purchased from the place I linked you to for the instructions).

Click on the picture of the sensor and it'll take you to the shop for the part.

Double check on their "Contact Us" for the sensor and fuse part numbers to ensure you get the correct ones.

Good luck with it.

Thanks

Hiya,

If you have any more questions on this problem, just come back and post them here, even after you've clicked on Accept.

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are happy with the answer and if you haven't already done so, can you click on Accept for me please?

This is how I am paid for my efforts.

Thanks