UK Appliance

UK Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

UK Appliance

Hello I have a Zanussi ZENB 2625 refridgerator/freezer and

Customer Question
the bottom shelf (the very...
Hello I have a Zanussi ZENB 2625 refridgerator/freezer and the bottom shelf (the very bottom) of the freezer keeps icing up. some of this then thaws and I have to keep mopping up water from the kitchen floor around the freezer where it seeps out. I then take out the bottom drawer from the freezer and chip the ice from the bottom shelf (the very bottom) of the freezer.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Appliance
1/15/2010
UK Appliance Technician: Techdesk, Field Service Engineer replied 8 years ago
Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer

Hiya,

This would suggest an ice blockage in the drain below the evaporator.

There are two ways to cure it.

One is to simply defrost the entire appliance by turning it off and leaving the doors open for 48 hours.

The other is to unplug the appliance, take the rear panel inside the freezer out and defrost the drain channel below the evaporator.

A steamer is good for this, you'll need a few towels to mop up the water.

Defrost the evaporator and the drain channel, ensure the drain hole is clear and water runs down the drain tube into the container on top of the compressor.

Refit the rear panel and turn the appliance on again.

Hope this helps

Let me know how it goes or if you need more help

Thanks

Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer

Hiya

To let you know that you were spot on and what has been bugging me for a couple of weeks was resolved in 10 minutes with a screwdriver and a hair dryer (I don't have a steamer and I was very cautious with the hair dryer). I followed your advice to the letter (aside from not having a steamer), you were right in that the outlet was blocked by ice, I have cleared it and all is resolved. I left a positive message on facebook and I have already spoken to one of my friends about the experience and I will definetely use you guys again in the future.

Many thanks

Hiya,

Thanks for coming back and letting me know how it went.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Thank you for the payment, it is appreciated.

Thanks

Hiya

One final question which you may or may not know the answer to regarding my freezer. my building is very new (2006) and the electricity supply and trip swithces are very modern. Since I moved in here in 2007 my trip switch has tripped three times which doesn't sound too much unfortunately it switches off all the socket outlets and switches off the freezer. I have been lucky so far as I have either been in the vicinity or out for a couple of hours. After your assistance my freezer seems a lot quieter since I fixed it and I wondered if the initial problem may have caused a surge which might have been what has tripped the switch. If you could let me know in your view whether you think it might have done this I would be grateful. I do turn everything else off at the wall except for my sky box for recording, my electronic alarm clock which is very modern and my hands free telephone with is also modern.

Many thanks

Hiya,

No, the ice build up wouldn't cause it to trip the RCD.

It's possible the fridge freezer is responsible but you would need some specialist test equipment to determine this.

In 3 years, I would have expected the appliance to have failed if it was responsible for the tripping.

Good luck with it.

Thanks

Hiya

Without tempting fate a qualified electrician (who was a good friend so thankfully assisted me as a favour and a few bob) came to my flat and looked at the electrics and said that there was nothing wrong. He said that it could have been the fridge as the electrics in these modern flats (mine was built in 2006) were very sensitive. Since I fixed the fridge problem (which I have done twice this year) there have been no trips with my electrics. Normally there have been one or two a year but I have now gone around a whole year without any so you helped me fix my fridge and stop my trip switches from tripping. Many thanks, Ray

UK Appliance Technician: Techdesk, Field Service Engineer replied 7 years ago

Hiya,

Thanks for coming back and letting me know.

Good luck with it.

thanks

Techdesk
Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer