UK Appliance

UK Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

UK Appliance

My Bosch fridge freezer has a thermal control problem. I guess

it is about ten years...
My Bosch fridge freezer has a thermal control problem. I guess it is about ten years old, possibly a bit more. I could not find a model number anywhere, but the compressor has the following written on a label:

DA 125E13RBY5 R 600A

It runs for about twelve hours, after which the fridge temp is about 6 deg C, and is then off for about the same time, during which the fridge temperature rises to about 18 deg C.

The freezer always seems to be below zero according to the built-in gauge, although the only figure marked on its scale is zero. Most of the time it is in the black region, i.e.well below zero.

Is there a separate thermostat in the fridge that I could replace?
8/25/2009
Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer

Hiya,

Unfortunately without a model or E-Nr number it's going to be impossible to help.

Bosch have made so many different models.

If you've looked behind the salad drawers and there's nothing there then I'm sorry, I'll be unable to assist.

I've opted out for the time being so that the question is still open to all experts.

If you do find a model number I can opt back in.

good luck with it.

Thanks

OK ,thanks. I had not thought to look there.

Unfortunately the unit is at my home 100 miles away from here! But I am about to go back this evening and will look again. I don't have e-mail there, and I have a lot of work to do to re-let the place, so it may be a while before I can get back to you.

Thanks again for your prompt reply. At least I have something to work on.

Regards, XXXXX XXXXX
Hallo Again

I have now looked behind the salad drawers as suggested and found a label with a whole lot more information which I list below:

E-NR KGV-2604-GB/04 F.D. 7709/30130

KGV 2604                  90.221.001

REFRIDGERATOR/FREEZER     * ***

EN 28187                  220-240V 50Hz

I have not finished! Don't know how that got sent.
Continue:

160W Lamp 15W

TOT VOL                 273 L
FRIDGE                  193 L
FREEZER                 63 L

R600A 0,052kg           7kg/24h

Max pressure            30/6 bar

Typ SF-26-KGVA          EIGENSICHER

22.212.312

OK, that may be over the top, but that's the lot that was on there. I hope that will help to identify it sufficiently.

Regards, XXXXX
<p>Hiya,</p><p>Thanks for that.</p><p>This is normally caused by a failure of one of the foamed in temperature sensors.</p><p>Bosch do a kit that basically bypasses the sensor and all defrosting of the freezer is done on a time basis by the electronics.</p><p> </p><p>The part number for the kit is 491415</p><p> </p><p><a href="http://www.espares.co.uk/parts?k=491415" target="_blank">Click here for the part</a></p><p> </p><p>It's worth a try before changing the appliance.</p><p> </p><p>Hope this helps</p><p>Let me know how it goes.</p><p>Thanks</p>

Hiya,

Sorry, the last post doesn't read very well.

The fault you describe is normally caused by a failure of one of the foamed in temperature sensors

Bosch do a kit that basically bypasses the sensor and all defrosting of the freezer is done on a time basis by the electronics

The part number for the kit is 491415

Click here for the part

It's worth a try before changing the appliance.

Hope this helps

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks

Hallo

Mnay thanks for your reply.

Your 'Click here for the part' link comes up with an error, but the address quoted in your 'post that doesn't read very well' does bring up a site.

There the part you describe is simply given a price of 10.99, without further information. What does it consist of, and what would I do with it if I did order it? Would there be a clearly understandable instruction sheet with it?

Regards, XXXXX XXXXX

Hiya,

It contains a connector to join wires and a sheet that tells you which wires to cut.

Save the cost of it. A roll of insulating tape is all you need.

Click here for the instructions

Good luck with it.

Thanks

Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Thank you. I believe I have got the message. Will get back to you in a day or two.

Regards, XXXXX XXXXX

Hiya,

Good luck with it.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks

Many thanks 'Fred Bloggs'.

Your advice has worked. You are welclome to the £10 deposit.

I now can't understand what the NTC does, as the thing seems to work without it. What does NTC mean anyway?

Hiya,

NTC = Negative Temperature Co-efficient.

As the temperature changes the resistance of the sensor changes.

The faulty sensor is used to detect when the defrost cycle has finished so telling the control board to turn off the defrost heater and turn on the compressor.

As it wasn't working properly (or at all) the machine went into defrost and stayed there.

Bypassing the sensor has now put the control board fully in control and the defrost is now a timed defrost.

Hope this explains it.

Glad it worked for you.

Thank you for the payment and the bonus, it is appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks for the explanation. It is good to know that the faulty item has nothing to do with the basic temperature control of the unit, which is the impression I was under. I have found that the control knob does still alter the temperature. This makes sense now, from what you are saying.

Regards, XXXXX XXXXX
Techdesk
Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer