UK Appliance

UK Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

UK Appliance

Is there any way to reset an Indesit washing machine regarding

Customer Question
Is there any way to...
Is there any way to 'reset' an Indesit washing machine regarding all the different wash programmes/cycles. Currently the spin part of the wash cycle (for different programmes) is not working and the fabric softener is not being taken in as part of the wash cycle. The spin cycle works when specifically selected but does not work as part of the wash cycle.
Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Appliance
6/28/2009
UK Appliance Technician: Techdesk, Field Service Engineer replied 8 years ago
Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer

Hiya,

Can you post the model number of the appliance please?

When you are using the machine and it gets to the spin part, what actually happens?

Thanks

The model number is XXXXX (1600 spin). My wife explained something slightly different earlier but the real problem is the programmes are not working correctly , not just the spin cycle. Each part of the cycle needs to be done manually so the phases of each cycle work when done manually and individually (i.e. spin works manually and fabric softener is taken when manual rinse is selected) but the programmes are not functioning. It takes soap at beginning & not conditioner, and then fills with a bit of water and stays like that, turning the clothes over till the end of the cycle and never ends. It doesn't drain, wash soap away re-rinse and spin. Sorry for the slightly misleading info at the start.

Hiya,

No problem, we've got the information now.

From what you say there would appear to be a problem with the heater.

It locks the door, takes in water and detergent which is correct and it tumbles the clothes.

If it doesn't heat it can stick on the programme, normally if it's an open circuit heater.

You'll need access to and be able to use a multimeter to test the heater.

Unplug the appliance and take the rear cover off.

At the bottom rear of the tub is the heater and thermistor (temperature sensor).

First check the wiring to these, give the wires a good tug as they can break internally leaving the outer sheath whole.

Take the connections off the heater (note where they go, camera phone is good for this) and using the multimeter, see if it's around the 25 ohms mark.

If it's open circuit or the reading is a lot higher than 25 ohms (allow 10 ohms maximum for the multimeter leads and calibration) you'll need a new heater.

Check it out, see what you find.

Hope this helps

Let me know how it goes or if you need more help.

Thanks

Thank you for the advice. I'll be asking an electrician friend to pop round with his multimeter in the next few days and will let you know how I get on. If the heater is ok, are there any other possibilities? Thank you.

Hiya,

Normally for any other faults you would get flashing lights on the front.

If you have got flashing lights, number the lights with 1 at the left and let me know which ones are flashing.

Thanks

No lights are flashing on the machine so I'll stick with testing the heater in the next couple of days and get back to you. Thank you.
Techdesk
Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer