Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.
13782322

Need to replace a belt on a Hoover tumble dryer - I have taken

Customer Question

Need to replace a belt on a Hoover tumble dryer - I have taken everything apart - but still cannot get to the wheels and motor that the belts runs on. do i have to turn the dryer upside down, and how to I fit on the belt, by blindly fiddling with the belt I managed to hook it onto the motor, but it was so tough to fit it over the drum as well? please advise.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 8 years ago.

Hiya,

Can you post the model number of your appliance please?

The method of fitting depends on the model you have.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

It is a Hoover HDV 7FM.

As I have said I have taken off the front, and the back plate, but the motor is right at the

bottom. I cannot take off the sides as the remaining sides and back are one piece of metal folded around. The drum also now seems loose, as I have taken off the bar that secures it in place, and think if I force the belt over the top of the drum it will completely damage the drum. I am thinking of getting a repairman in now to put it all back together again!

Expert:  Techdesk replied 8 years ago.

Hiya,

You shouldn't have to force the belt on, the belt should go on the drum and have enough slack to go to the motor, then the two tensionsers tighten the belt.

Don't try to fit the belt to the motor first.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

That doesn't help me to get to the motor and tensioners in the first place, and the belt is very tight - your advice is completely different to what I have already researched on the internet - where they say that replacing the belt is tricky and the trick is to turn the drum to fit the belt on.

How do I get to see the motor and tensioners on this model?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 8 years ago.

Hiya,

I'm sorry you consider my advice to be incorrect.

I do this job for a living and have never had to force a belt on to one of these dryers.

I'll opt out of the question.

Someone else may have advice on doing it a different way from the way the manufacturer trained me to do it.

Sorry I cannot be of assistance to you.

Thanks