Wes
Wes, Consultant
Experience:  Samsung Partner
63083622

Samsung. 60" smart TV. bought in 2013. 60" smart TV bought

Customer Question

Samsung. 60" smart TV. bought in 2013. 60" smart TV bought in 2013.
JA: How old is your 60&QUOT?
Customer: shadow across the middle of the screen/
JA: Have you made sure all cables connected to your Samsung TV are securely attached to both the TV and the outlet?
Customer: Yes and also checked against DVD. shadow still there
JA: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your 60&QUOT?
Customer: I'm not home, but probably. Cables from the DVD and Cable box
JA: How long has this been going on with your screen? Was there a power outage recently?
Customer: just recently. There was a brief power outage last week when meter was switched out, just last week
JA: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no,I'm trying to ascertain if worth the time to have house call for service
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Wes replied 1 month ago.

Hey there! Welcome to Just Answer, an independent, paid-support site. Sorry to hear you're having problems, my name is ***** ***** I'm going to do everything I can to help you with this situation. What is the model number of the TV? The model number is ***** on a sticker or plate on the rear or bottom of the TV. If there is a product code, version number, or serial number, please let me know what the first 5 to 8 characters are in addition to the model number of the TV.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am not home. Can I reply later or tomorrow?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am not home. Can i reply later today or tomorrow?
Expert:  Wes replied 1 month ago.

Sure. I can also give you a basic answer until then.

What I suspect is going on with your TV is either the backlight strips or the backlight driver circuitry on the power board has failed. If you have sound, but no picture... that's usually a sure sign of a backlight problem. The reason why this happens (sometimes right after the warranty expires), is because some manufacturers will "over-drive" the LED strips in the TV to make the picture look extra bright... at the cost of shortening the life of the LEDs. This video (click on the blue text to the right): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hQOiN4-XPk describes how to check the backlight strips and the LED driver or power supply board(s) to help determine which may be the cause of the problem. If it's determined the LED driver board or the main power board is at fault, replacing those boards usually isn't too difficult and can be done by most TV repair shops or techs, or even by a consumer who is comfortable removing the back of the TV.

If the LED strips are involved (and often they are), it is a much more dire prognosis. The strips are usually replaceable, but it can be a labor-intensive project and there is the risk of damaging the panel, so most TV repair shops or technicians will not perform the repair. If you are interested in attempting the repair yourself, this video describes how to replace LED strips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2FboV-1PJg

Some TV's use edge-lighting, so replacing the strips is a little different. This video is an example of the process for replacing edge-lit LED strips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0W817opgyo

The videos aren't necessarily specific to your model TV, but the information in them can be applied in general to any manufacturer or model. Most of the customers I talk to about this problem opt to replace the TV because of the amount of labor involved in replacing the backlight strips. That is generally what I recommend in your case, unless you enjoy tinkering.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
don't know if this makes a difference at this time, but the model is UN60F6300AFXZA, version HS01
Expert:  Wes replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for that information. Unfortunately, it doesn't change the diagnosis at all. I still suspect one or more backlight strips have failed. It doesn't look like the parts would be easy to find either. This is the kit you would need: https://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-cy-hf600cssv3h-led-strips-22-strips-1-board.htm Unfortunately they aren't in stock. I'm really sorry to have to tell you this, but I think you'll have to replace the TV.