TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Purchased a LG 6200 49inch 4k tv. Trying to connect Tivo…

Purchased a LG 6200...

Purchased a LG 6200 49inch 4k tv. Trying to connect Tivo bolt to it vi 50 foot hdmi. Having issues with HDMI handshake and was wondering it the 4k was getting in the way, since the HDMI probably is only 720 or 1080. I can connect 720p tvs okay not anything more. CAn a 4k tv accept 720p input?

Technician's Assistant: What does your TV screen look like when you try to connect your BOLT? Is there anything at all displayed?

Was having video gaps and audio gaps for a second or more - now saying no signal. Somewhat depends on what order I connect the HDMI.

Technician's Assistant: The Video Technician will be able to walk you through that. Is your BOLT connected to the TV, or is it connected to a power outlet?

BOLT is connected to an outlet. Attached to TV via 50 foot HDMI from 2009.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?

Just that 3 tvs have worked and 2 have not. all 3 that work are 720p.

7/19/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

I'm sorry you're having problems and I will do my best to help here. Offhand, the maximum recommended HDMI length is 25 feet for reliability (which I've seen stretched to as far as 35 ft top- using thicker conductor 22 gauge HDMI cables). For any length over 25 feet you would want to use an HDMI repeater at the end of the cable, and then can extend it using a second 25 foot cable. A good quality HDMI extender would be recommended for this setup and also a pair of 25 foot 22 gauge high quality cables to maintain the signal integrity. I can pull up links to a suitable extender and a pair of cables if you would like.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thanks. When applying vodeo out settings on Tivo, I can select 720p, but it won't show up on the 4k tv. So I am wondering if the 4k tv is too much and I need to drop down resolution. Would a 1080p tv work?

Thanks for the reply. Offhand the TV only displays up to what the signal is that it's being sent, so there's no way to "set" the TV to 1080P if the output signal is 720P. Also all TV's are backwards compatible so the issue would not be the TV resolution being capable of 4K Ultra HD, but rather the HDMI run is far too long for a reliable transmission.

Offhand, the maximum recommended HDMI length is 25 feet for reliability (which I've seen stretched to as far as 35 ft top- using thicker conductor 22 gauge HDMI cables). For any length over 25 feet you would want to use an HDMI repeater at the end of the cable, and then can extend it using a second 25 foot cable. A good quality HDMI extender would be recommended for this setup and also a pair of 25 foot 22 gauge high quality cables to maintain the signal integrity. I can pull up links to a suitable extender and a pair of cables if you would like.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thanks. Sounds like I will need to look into a repeater.

You're welcome, and if I could- I would suggest a powered (not passive) repeater as it will actually amplify the signal again and provide a reliable "boost" at the halfway point to maintain signal. A high quality HDMI repeater can be purchased at the link below:

https://www.zoro.com/monoprice-hdmi-repeater-acitive-equalizer-131ft-7700/i/G4475091/feature-product?gclid=CjwKCAjw7cDaBRBtEiwAsxprXXgD7QfhE6eGww81cnhb86emYWuFTCDqrwK3wqQ-kOwae0Ey7iXe7BoCR_YQAvD_BwE

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Aric, Technician