TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Panasonic TV TC-42PX24 3 Tbs of water went in vent above…

Panasonic TV TC-42PX243 Tbs...

Panasonic TV TC-42PX243 Tbs of water went in vent above sustain board when TV was on. Picture was pixelating. Powered off tv. Disconnected all cords on back. Waited 15 minutes. Tried turning back on. Heard click of turn on with black screen. A few seconds later TV shut off and went to 7 blinks.Disconnected SN2 connector. Disconnected SN3 connector. Disconnected SN20 ribbon cable. Plugged back in and turned on. Down to 6 blinks. Thought problem was sustain board. Ordered and installed new sustain board. Super disappointed to still have seven blinks and no picture. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TC-42PX24?

NO Didn't mean to shout btw. Should have been No.

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

No Spilled water

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Just the above description should do it

7/18/2018
Wes
Wes, Consultant

Hello and welcome to Just Answer, an independent paid-support site. My name is ***** ***** I'll be advising you today. According to the blink chart in the service manual, 7 blinks is the SN board, sounds like you changed that.... 6 blinks also mentions the SN board, but also the SS board and the A-board to SN-board connector.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1139561/Panasonic-Tc-42px24.html?page=26#manual

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I thought by removing the connections and isolating the sustain board, the switch to 6 blinks would in essence tell me the issue was with the sustain board
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I don't need a phone call. I can type super fast and may need the information in print anyhow in order to locate specific part locations and such

It sounds like you were on the right trail, did you have the service manual before?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I have access to the service manual. I just don't understand why replacing what I thought was a defective sustain board (based on isolating it and producing 6 blinks) did not solve the problem. what do I do next?

Any possibility the replacement is defective? What about the SS board?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Replacement is new. Why the SS board?

7 blinks is the SN board, 6 blinks also includes the SN board which is the scan drive as a possible cause

SN = Scan Drive

SS = Sustain Drive

So it may have not been the Sustain at all... it may be the scan.

I realize the water went in over the Sustain, but if it shorted, it could have damaged the scan when it went.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I understand. The original problem was the 7 blink code. It went down to 6 after I disconnected the sustain board. If it was the scan board, I don't believe it would have shown seven blinks to begin with, correct?

Look at 6.2 in the service manual at the blink codes. What does it say for 7 blinks in your manual?

For the Check point

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Hoping to send a pic. Hang on.

Okay, so that's the Scan drive... not the Sustain... the SS-Board is the sustain. See 3.1.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Ooooohhh. That could be a frustrating piece of information. wow. I simply misunderstood the acronym. Wow. My husband will be so pleased. I'll see if I can get my hands on a SS board and go from there. I also have LG tv with slight pixilating but only on occasion. However, for the moment I'll need to let you go and contact you again later. Thanks much

You're welcome.

Wes
Wes, Consultant
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
If you're still there, I'm looking at pre-owned boards on eBay from top rated sellers for $35.00. How confident are we that the issue is the board itself and not a connection to the board?
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
are you still there? I have I lost the connection?

Well, have you pulled the connectors and made sure they're dry? It's certainly a possibility that it could be the connectors, but without advanced equipment, it would be pretty hard to isolate it down to a connector.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
this happened last week. I'm pretty sure everything is dry by now

If it were me, I'd just replace the other board and go from there.

I was in a similar pickle a few months back with a Sony... ended up replacing 2 boards before I figured out it was the panel and ended up having to junk the whole thing anyway. :(

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
OK. That was my thought as well. I just don't know how much to invest in fixing an old tv versus buying a new one.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Maybe I should do some price checking online before I dig this hole much deeper

It's a gamble no doubt. Is this your primary TV?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
We actually make the kids use a tube tv downstairs. hahahaha

lol, nice. If you have the budget for it, I'd consider a new TV. Display tech has come quite a ways since that one was new. Actually here's what I'd do... I'd consider replacing this one, but still order the board and fixing it. You could upgrade the kids to that one and they'd probably be over the moon.

That was my plan when my Sony went... but it turned out to be unfixable so the kids are still stuck with an old Samsung 720p 23"

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
We were given an LG 36" right after it happened and it works well. It's just that maybe 10-20% of the time, there is some slight pixalating. Not enough to drive you crazy bc you can hardly see it but there none the less. It is however, small than the 42" obviously. Any ideas on how to fix super light pixalating? (And am I making that word up?)
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
your kids must love you for the 23"

Well they're free to go out and get jobs anytime they want. ;) Do you have a model number on the 36"?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I just looked it up. Wow I'm 46 and could hardly read the print. I'm getting old. it's an LG 37LCSDC-UA

Okay let me see what I can find for docs on the 37

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I have done zero troubleshooting or research on that one. Figured one tv at a time

Does it happen on a specific input or any/all of them?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Any input. Had to think about that for a minute but when I initially set it up, it was doing it on area broadcast stations as well as Netflix.

Then it has to be the main board.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-37LC5DC-UA-AGF33314803-EAX37921505-0-Main-Board/153105211289?hash=item23a5c81f99%3Ag%3AUCMAAOSw2khbT5nV&_sacat=0&_nkw=37LC5DC&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

Don't take my word for it, if/when you open the TV up, check the part number on the sticker on the board and compare it to the one on eBay or wherever you get it from.

The model number is ***** 37LC5DC-UA

and here is the service manual for it: https://servlib.com/lg/tv/37lc5dc-chassis-la64a.html?limit=1&start=0

I shouldn't say it *has* to be the main board... but that's my suspicion.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I mean, it was free so I can't complain too much but if I can fix it, that would be nice. But...I'm not sure it's worth $50
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Like I said, it's really not bad. If anything, we fix or replace the panasonic upstairs and ship the LG downstairs. So you think you'd throw another $35 at the Panasonic?

I probably would, but I'd draw the line at that.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
OK. Good for now then. I'll talk to my hubby and see what he thinks. One never knows. Enjoy the rest of your day and thanks again for the help.

You too, and you're welcome.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Wes, not sure if you're online or if my account is still active. If you are, I would love to squeak in another question about my Panasonic. I have switched out both boards now and depending on which configuration, I get different blink codes. I'd appreciate your time if you had it. Thanks.

I'm here... what codes are you getting?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Fantastic. So I originally had the 7 blink code. Then replaced the sustain board (whoops - should have done the scan board we figured out). Now I've replaced the scan board as we talked about. With my old scan board, I receive the 7 blink code. When I put in the new/used scan board, I get a 10 blink code.

Service manual lists the A-board and the P-board as additional possibilities. The P Board is a definite possibility... given the multi-board issues... but then the A board is on the same side as the SS board then it stands to reason it would be damaged if the water went in at the area of the SS board. Look at the diagram on Page 6 and see if the A board is on the side that the water went in.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
The water went in above the SN/Scan Drive.

Well, the Power board is $39... http://www.shopjimmy.com/panasonic-n0ab6jk00001-power-board.htm

If it's not that one, I think I'd cut your losses (or cut them right now) because the A board is going to be hard to find and may be very expensive.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
it's for sure a board and not a connection somewhere?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
OK "For sure" in a most likely kind of way

I can't answer that. You would have to ohm out the various connectors or check the voltages at various points.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
not in a if I replace those boards and it doesn't work, I will come back to haunt you in a second life

lol, hey now, I've been very up front about the risks involved here.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
You know I'm kidding, right?

Of course... though there are some customers who expect 100% certainty... which can't be given from thousands of miles away.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
If my brother and my dad are both techies and could check the various connectors and points, is a person able to "fix" a connection? Or does that just tell you more clearly which board is dead?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I'm just a stubborn girl and want to do things on my own without asking them. But in this case, if asking them might pinpoint a connection and that connection could be fixed, then it would totally make sense for me to bother them.

Well if the cable is bad you'd replace that too, but given what you've told me about the cause, I don't really have any reason to believe the connectors or cables would fail from from brief water exposure. It would be a more gradual process as the connectors corroded.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Could it be that I just didn't connect the ribbons correctly or tight enough?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Or any of the connections really...would that give reason for the 10 blink?

Possibly, but that's easy enough to check. The other thing is don't put the back on until it's working... Its okay to run it with the back off, just be careful what you touch with it plugged in.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I'm sorry, but my brain still is confused as to why the 7 blink code with the old board turned into a 10 blink code with the new board. Why wouldn't it show the 10 blink code in the first place? Or why wouldn't it just blink non-stop to say - give up already, there are a ton of bad boards here.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
tbh, it's laying on my table. I haven't put the back on since this whole thing started. I only plug it in to test it.

It can only show one code at a time... and I don't know which module is given the highest priority.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Definitely something I would recommend Panasonic think about before blinking.

Are you unplugging for a few minutes, then pressing and holding the power button (with it unplugged) to clear the power from the board at any point during your board swaps? If not, try that to make sure it's not retaining old codes or anything like that.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I unplug it whenever I'm working on it. I've only done the power hold thing 2-3 times during this process.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I'll go try the power thing again just for fun

Okay, all I can tell you is good luck. There's really no secret to this... it's just swap a board, check the codes, swap, check, etc... Eventually it either works or it resolves down to being the panel being the problem at which point you drop the thing off a bridge.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
interesting thing...did the power cycle thing and now I'm back to 7 blinks instead of 10. Hmmmmm....
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
7 blinks is the scan drive - the original board I replaced. I'm going to go check the connections there and see if anything catches my eye
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
OK - so I checked all the connections I've messed with and I found one ribbon from the SN board to the A board that wasn't attached correctly. I fixed that, cleared the power board and I'm back to 10 blinks. I think the bridge you just spoke of is standing right in front of me.

Afraid so... another board or cut your losses.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Thanks again for all your help.

You're welcome.