TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I I have an LG TV. Almost 3 years: 65UF6490. Tv menu does…

I I have an...

I I have an LG TV

Technician's Assistant: What LG model do you have? How old is it?

Almost 3 years: 65UF6490

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Tv menu does not work

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your LG? What happened right before this?

Same on all inputrs

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

The left side of the screen is discolored ok

7/14/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

I'm sorry you're having problems with your LG set, and in order to determine what's causing this, I need to request some more information.

1) What's connected to the set for sources (cable box, dvd player, home theater, etc.)?

2) If you use the original LG remote and press MENU- does the MENU display clearly across the screen, or is part of the menu affected as well by the discolored area?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Roku HDMI, Blue Ray HDMI, Rabbit Ears (coax), Ethernet cable, Optical Audio. If I press menu, nothing displays (no text or graphics)

Okay, so if I understand correctly the menu will not display at all? Also, when you select Roku, the Blu Ray or the antenna input, does one half of the screen display normally with each of the inputs? Or is one half black and other half discolored? Lastly is the sound still working on the set?

I'm not available by phone. The website sends that offer automatically. Another expert may accept it but in the meantime, simply reply back to me on this page and we can continue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Menu doesn't display at all, screen display problem not dependent on inputs, sound - works through optical cable, I'll check on the set sound - we rarely use it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There's no way for me to navigate to change the sound input to the TV from the optical output
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The left side of the screen frequently changes it's tint/discoloration: green to greenish white to blue
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The top horizontal row of pixels is random colors on the right side
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
my mistake - I turned the receiver off and turned up the TV volume and it works fine

I'm sorry for the delay as I had lost my internet connection and just now got it back. These symptoms point to a failure of one of two components in the TV. Either the T-con board (LCD controller which processes separate left and right halves of the screen) or the LED/LCD panel itself has failed. Given the TV's internal volume works fine, this means the Mainboard in the set is not the cause. In most cases this requires repairs made to the set.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps and are you still having the same problem?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay this time we now have the same problem, except the tint is red and pink on the left side

If you're still having the same problem, then unfortunately this indicates the set's T-con board or the screen itself (the screen is not replaceable however), has failed and needs to be replaced. The T-con is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $35:

http://www.tvpartsguy.com/products/lg-65uf6450-ua-t-con-board-6870c-0547a-6871l-3908a.html

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200 parts and labor. Unfortunately there is no way to tell if the issue is the T-con or the screen itself without replacing the T-con board to see if it fixes the issue (these components work in tandem to produce the image). If you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Aric- review *****!

You're welcome and best of luck with the set. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Aric, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Done

Thank you.

Nicholas Arnaud

I wanted to jump into this conversation as my shop recently been seeing a lot of these TV's with this exact model come in lately. This failure you are experiencing while Aric is correct typically occurs due to a faulty panel or T-con board is actually a bit different with this set as there is a processor located on the main board that will control the data sent to the T-con and will make it seem as if the T-con or panel are faulty when in fact it is an issue coming from the processor on the main board.
This is a very common fault we have seen on many of these TVs which can be manifested with different symptoms.
If you decide to replace the T-con board and unfortunately do not find positive results with this replacement (this is by far the cheapest repair and a good idea to try first), I would highly suggest having your main board serviced and or at least looked at.
These main boards fail extremely commonly and are now discontinued as well as out of stock from all vendors. There are repair services available out there however which would mean you would need to ship your board out to the service center to have it live tested and repaired.
Please let me know if you have any questions in regards ***** ***** information I have just posted.
Good luck.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
the part didn't work - Can I send it back?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I'm sorry, I realized that I didn't buy the part from you guys. However, do you agree with aric that my LCD is defective since the T-CON board didn't work?

I believe that you have a perfectly working panel and that a main board is most likely your culprit. I state this because as previously mentioned we have been seeing a lot of these TVs with what would seem like panel related failures when in fact the main board is simply not sending the correct signals to the screen.
I would recommend you send it in for a repair to a service center as these boards. I have just done a check online, and every single retailer is out of stock on this board. The only one available for sale is on eBay but it would be a used model sold for $240 but does not accept any returns what so ever. This would be a risky move and I would not recommend it. There are repair services available out there however for less than $200 which also offer a 1 year warranty on the repairs and refurbishing of the module. Additionally if for some reason (very unlikely)I am incorrect in my diagnostic and indeed the failure is from the panel then they would issue a refund minus testing ($20.00) and shipping fees ($10.00).
Here is a link to a search for this module:

https://www.google.com/search?q=65UF6490+main+board&rlz=1C1CHBD_en&oq=65UF6490+main+board&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j0j69i60l3j0.1495j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thanks Nicholas. That's what I'm thinking. TVpartsguy has the part - wonder if I just just get it - but then I'll be $300 into a tv... http://www.tvpartsguy.com/products/lg-65uf6490-main-board-eax66703203-ebt64197203.html
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
The capacitors all look good on the power supply

The link you have posted is of a listing stated to be out of stock.
If you take a look at the quantity available it does state out of stock.
You most definitely don't have an issue with your power supply, I would really focus on the main board. The reason it is out of stock everywhere is because it fails so often.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Ugh. Yeah that might be a sign that I just need a new TV! Thanks Nicholas!