TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

We just bought a D series 40" hdtv. We hooked up to cable…

Customer Question
We just bought a...

We just bought a D series 40" hdtv. We hooked up to cable box but can't get live TV. Called cable company and they said we need to get live picture first. All we can get is the scrolling ad for Hulu, Netflix, etc.

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages when you try to connect to Hulu?

I don't want Hulu, I just want to connect to cable and program cable remote to tv

Technician's Assistant: How is your internet connection? Have you tried unplugging your modem and router, then plugging them back in?

Didn't try that. We have 5 G. Just clicked on Hulu and it is allowing login or free trial.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: TV
6/30/2018
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 month ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Let's back up to the beginning.

1) What is the full model number off of the back of the Vizio?

2) Who is your cable provider and DO YOU have a cable box?

3) What port on the TV is the cable box plugged into?

Let's start with that and then proceed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
D40f-F1
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cable is Spectrum,. And we are hooked up to the cable box
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In the HDMI port

Thanks. Now grab the original Vizio remote and use the INPUT button to select HDMI 1. Make sure the cable box is turned on and let me know what you see on your screen.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I select it it goes to name input

So then go ahead and name it.

Call it cable, or whatever you wish- it doesn't matter. Just give it a name so you can select it and watch cable.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is named hdmi
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I hit ok brings me back to name input, it is a vicious cycle

Okay, that is different and this is a TV glitch- or possibly a faulty TV. Shut your TV off and unplug its power cord, wait 10 seconds and plug it in. Make sure the HDMI cable plugs into HDMI 1 on the TV. Turn the TV ON. Use the Input button and SELECT HDMI 1.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok powering back up

Alrighty.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am still in cycle but at input setting at top it says HDMI 1, should I just exit?

What cycle are you talking about? What else is showing on the screen? Which remote are you using?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where I name the input hit ok and it brings me back to name input.

Which remote are you using?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The TV remote. Cable remote not programed to tv

No idea, I'm opting out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks I don't feel so bad.