TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Its blinking on and off for the past week. Toshiba 46" model…

Its blinking on and...

Its blinking on and off for the past week

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

Toshiba 46" model 46g31ou. About 5 years old

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

The menu works fine but the screen constantly blinks

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your 46G31OU? What happened right before this?

I just noticed it about 5 days ago. I changed the power strip but still the same

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

That's it

6/30/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What's connected to the TV that you receive programming from (example: cable box, satellite box, etc.)? Also if you use the ORIGINAL TOSHIBA remote and press MENU, does the set's own MENU also blink?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Its connected to cable and I am not able to locate the original remote

A cable "BOX" or cable from the wall no box please (details are paramount)?

I'm not available by phone. The website sends that offer automatically. Another expert may accept it but in the meantime, simply reply back to me on this page and we can continue.

Aric, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, it's a cable box
stevenl1469
Phone call session started

Thank you. In most cases blinking is caused by the cable box needing to be rebooted or needing to replace the HDMI cable (those are the most common causes). We can determine if it's the TV or box by using the original Toshiba remote to press MENU WHILE the set is blinking. If the MENU does not blink- it's the cable box. If it does blink- it's the TV itself. However you stated you do not have the original remote.

Please follow the steps below:
1) Shut the TV off, and then disconnect the cable/SAT box AND the TV from power (unplug their power cords).
2) If using an HDMI cable, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends when the cable box is unplugged from power (make sure it's secure on both ends).
3) Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 full seconds while the set is unplugged, then release the power button.
4) Plug the cable box AND the TV back into power, then turn the TV on and attempt to watch a program.

This should stop the blinking. However if it does not, then please try another source- such as a DVD player on the TV and see if that has sound. This tells us whether or not the TV, or the cable/SAT box itself is causing the problem.