TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Black shades flickering up and down all the time. Lg. Same…

Black shades flickering up...

Black shades flickering up and down all the time

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

Lg

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Same problem on all channels. Model number BMLDS401

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your BMLDS401? What happened right before this?

About 4 days. Nothing happened before this. If we turn the TV off for about an hour or longer and turn the TV back on the flickering stops. But, then it starts again in about 2 to 3 hours and continues until we turn the TV off again for several hours.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

We also get a message in the middle of the screen for about an hour saying, Unfortunately, smart share has stopped.

6/29/2018
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you.

Could you please get the model number from the back of the tv for me, what you sent is a different part, not the tv model.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
BMLDS401
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did you get the model number?

That is not a tv model, it is a part for a bluetooth adapter that fits dozens of different systems.
I need the model number from the white sticker on the back of the tv that lists the actual tv model numberr.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
55GA7900-UA
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is that it?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is that the model number?
that is it thank you.Please send only a single reply and allow me time to respond
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you still there?

Yes I'm here, again please allow me time to respond. Each time you send another message I lose everything I'm working on and have to start all over.

This is a complex issue with a large amount of detail and it takes time for me to send a detailed reply.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a xxxx model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is right at the end of its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new 4k LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $500 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
55357;�
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That’s a bummer.

Sorry I can't see your prior comment (symbols don't show up here),

yes it is unfortunate, but it is typical for a tv of this age. It is still worth at least trying the reset, but ultimately it is about time to replace it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. We are going to reset it and hopefully that will work. What about the msg we are getting. “Unfortunately, SmartShare has stopped”

That is why I mentioned both parts here,

they are separate issues, the flickering is most likely the backlight/power supply, the smart share issue is a control board issue,

the reset can address both, but there is still a good chance that multiple components inside the tv are damaged/failing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Bye.

You're very welcome.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen to conclude our session. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Installer