TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have an older Panasonic 50" plasma set that has taken to…

I have an older...

I have an older Panasonic 50" plasma set that has taken to spontaneously turning itself off at varying time intervals between several hours and a few seconds. I'm not sure if it's tge

Technician's Assistant: What Panasonic model do you have? How old is it?

..., the set or a problem with the much newer cable box that feeds it the signal.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

It's an older model circa 2006 or do. It's a 720 set model TH-50PX6U

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your TH-50PX6U? What happened right before this?

Only a few days. The intervals between switching offs have become longer. It seems to be less frequent when I reboot the cable box

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

That is pretty much it. Otherwise the set performance is just like new

6/28/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Offhand your cable box has no bearing at all on the TV randomly turning itself off (unless your TV power cord is plugged into the cable box outlet and you're questioning whether that outlet is faulty or not). Or is the TV plugged directly into its own AC outlet? Additionally, does the TV ever turn itself back ON?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The tv is plugged into the same power bar. It will turn itself back on if I have the auto power setting on, otherwise I have to manually do so.Should I plug the st into the wall socket separately?
Nathan, Installer

Hello and sorry to hear you're having trouble, do you still need help with this?

Thank you

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2006 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is well over double its service life at this point, and plasma technology is long obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $400 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new 4k LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks much

You are very welcome!

If replacing, I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as LG, Panasonic, and Samsung, for example: http://amzn.to/2CxVZhP

The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed.

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy which is well worth it.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen to conclude our session. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Installer

Do you need more help with this?