TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

We have sound but no picture. My child hit the bottom left…

Customer Question
We have sound but...

We have sound but no picture

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

My child hit the bottom left corner with a tow then the screen went black

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: TV
6/28/2018
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 1 month ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you.

What is the brand and model number of the tv?

Do you see any cracks or lines on the screen, or dark black splotches, especially near the area where it was hit?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Samsung series 6

I need the complete model number from the back of the tv, please.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No just a black screen
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
UN60JU6500FXZA

Thank you,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or backlight, though there are many possible failure points including a high likelihood of damage to the lcd panel (the screen itself) which is not possible to fix, resulting from the hit to the screen.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. This would be for only a board/electronics issue though. If it is the screen, that can't be fixed, the entire screen has to be replaced and doing that would cost you far more than the value of the tv (expect to be in the(###) ###-####range for screen replacement).

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new 4k LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $700 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.