TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My 50 inch light will come on but wont power up. A 50 inch…

Customer Question
My 50 inch light...

My 50 inch light will come on but wont power up

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

A 50 inch flat screen tv

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

sanyo 2010 model dp50740

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

No same light comes on for second then nothing

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No thats it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: TV
6/1/2018
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 2 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

How old is the set please (roughly) and when did the problem occur- any storms, power outages, etc.?

2010 model no storms that i know of

Thank you for the reply. We often see these sets develop faults after a few years, and in most cases it requires replacement of a component (the Power Supply Board being the most common).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps and are you still having the same problem?

If you're still having the same problem, then unfortunately this indicates the set's power supply board has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $65:

https://www.ebay.com/i/163014386203?chn=ps

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, which may not be cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?