TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a red line going halfway down my Fujitsu plasmavision…

Customer Question
I have a red...

I have a red line going halfway down my Fujitsu plasmavision monitor

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your Fujitsu TV?

Nope running HMDI cable

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

Line is present when tv is on without picture

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Nope that is it

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: TV
5/31/2018
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 25 days ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

What is the model number of the tv?

Is this a vertical line?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Hi have a pic of the line it runs halfway down my Fujitsu plasmavision 55” model number is *****

Thank you, ***** ***** a pic if you are able to

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
vertical red line halfway down tv
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Is there a fix for this or is this plasma escaping
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Is it a tube broken? Is it an expensive fix?

Thanks for confirming,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty buffer board or a defect in the plasma panel, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2005 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is about 3 times its service life at this point and plasma technology is long obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor, assuming it is only a board issue. Chances are it is a panel defect which is not possible to repair.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new 4k LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 20 days ago

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.