TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I am using a 32" TV for my lap top and for some reason it…

Customer Question
I am using a...

I am using a 32" TV for my lap top and for some reason it flickers?

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Yes. The computer works on some other VISIO but not on either of the 2 new ones I just bought?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: TV
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
How long before I have a response to my question. Thank you, Ed.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
the tv's are 32", D-SERIES, HDTV,
5/31/2018
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 20 days ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Can you tell me the complete model number of the tv?
How is the laptop connected?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Connected with a DisplayPort to HDMI cable.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
D32hn-dE4

That doesn't look quite right, could you recheck it?

Perhaps D32hn-E4?

Okay that is typically a resolution issue,

but could also be a hdcp/hdmi miscommunication issue, which is very common on these lower quality sets,

Go into the resolution settings on the laptop and set the output for the external/2nd monitor to 1024x768 and let me know if that helps.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
LHBFWMLU0401733 , is the serial number. I will attempt to do as you requested
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
It did not solve the problem
Look in the display or graphics card properties on the laptop and set the output to 59hz and see if that helps
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Thanks for your help but I have another pressing matter and will need to address this in my AM. Ed

You're welcome, feel free to get back in touch when you have a chance.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Good morning, sorry about the delay. My computer is a Dell latitude - E6510 and I have not been able to locate the graphics card to reset the properties as you suggested. Thanks, Ed

Right click your desktop and go to display,

then in the resolution settings page click on Advanced, then graphics card or display adapter properties and you should see the options from there

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
We were able to set the refresh rate at 60hz. That is the lowest it will go. Next suggestion please. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
The flickering is less frequent and it does not turn the screen completely off. Thanks, Ed.

Hi Ed,

does your laptop have any other connections on it? If you could do direct hdmi that may help as this can be a DP/HDMI conversion issue as well.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Unfortunately not. But the computer works with other vizio & TV's brands?
Are the other TVs larger though or 1080p TVs?
This tv really just doesn’t have a good enough display to be used as a monitor, it wasn’t designed for this use and there are some inherent signal and resolution issues when trying to downconvert the laptop display to work on such a low resolution which is really where the flickering originates. If the tv is new you may want to consider returning/exchanging them for a better quality model
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Same size or smaller. I will disagree with you the picture quality is great and already using 2 others with different computers and everyone likes the quality. So the issue with this one is?
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 19 days ago

I'm not saying that the picture looks bad,

when referring to picture quality, I'm saying that your laptop by default is trying to output a much higher resolution than this television can handle.

There are inherent conversion and quality issues with this specific model, because the tv itself is physically not capable of displaying more than 720 lines of an image. Your laptop meanwhile is not going to go below 768 at its worst quality setting, and the tv is not processing that.

A "better" quality tv is going to have a display panel capable of a full 1080 lines of resolution, which is a direct line for line match for standard 1920x1080 resolution your laptop will try to run.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Ok, so what do i need to do to make it work even thou quality may not be up to certain standards?
You have done the only things you can in this case. Setting the resolution options on the laptop to the closest match and adjusting the refresh rate are the only options. Other than that it is simply a matter of compatibility with this particular model and I’d encourage you to return those visios for a different model that is full hd and supports 1080p
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 14 days ago

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
ou have done the only things you can in this case. Setting the resolution options on the laptop to the closest match and adjusting the refresh rate are the only options. Other than that it is simply a matter of compatibility with this particular model and I’d encourage you to return those visios for a different model that is full hd and supports 1080p

Yes that is correct. I was inquiring if you needed anything else, such as recommendations for a replacement monitor for example.