TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I was watching TV last night and the screen suddenly went…

Customer Question
Hello, I was watching...

Hello, I was watching TV last night and the screen suddenly went blank.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?

Let me check

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

No there is nothing

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No, power outage when I was looking at it last night. The power comes on but the screen is blank

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: TV
5/31/2018
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

What is the brand and model number of the tv?

LG

What is the model number of the tv?

I need to look for the model number
47LW6500
Thank you
Is the sound still working? Can you still see the LG menu screens?
There is no sound and the screen is black. Nothing is showing
Thanks for checking
Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an
internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control
board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a
manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event
(shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).
This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2011 model
tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This set is well past it’s service life.
There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a
diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60
seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60
seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet,
bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.
If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an
internal hardware failure.
This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need
to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back
panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly
desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.
If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and
labor.
For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new 4k LED tv with a
fresh warranty in the $300 range.
I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.
My apologies for the news,
Thanks for the response Nathan. I will try to follow your recommendation and if that does not work I will purchase a new TV.