TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

LG Television keeps losing picture but sound still there.

Customer Question
LG Television keeps losing...

LG Television keeps losing picture but sound still there

Technician's Assistant: What LG model do you have? How old is it?

42LB5610 3 years

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Picture just goes off, when we turn it off and back on picture comes back on for about 4 mins then goes off

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your LG? What happened right before this?

It was working perfectly and then picture went off but sound is still working.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

We noticed a number of lights in the back ground appearing over the last fes\w months. We could still see all the screen but these light circles were appearing periodically

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: TV
5/30/2018
TV Technician: Anthony_Infotech, Technician replied 23 days ago
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician

Hello
Welcome
I am sorry you are having trouble here,I am presently reviewing your question be with you very soon.

Anthony

You need to make a check for me please that check is when it goes black press the menu button of the sets OWN remote control does the menu come up or not please?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Sorry didn't see this before. No menu on remote control doesn't show up, also input does not work. We tried to find Menu buttons and channel change buttons on TV set itself but we could not locate any either on front or back of set.
TV Technician: Anthony_Infotech, Technician replied 21 days ago

Last question can you see any visible light at all on the screen even in a darkened room?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
No when it goes black it is just black, even those 14 lights that are in the background that have been appearing one by one periodically for at least 18 months can not be seen.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
We turned on today and it went for at least 30 to 40 mins before the screen went black.

Right now across makes and models of set we are going through an epidemic of back-light failure.

You could try a full reset of the TV in the settings menu however I do not hold out much hope for that back-light issues are very common with modern TVs the back-lights illuminate the pixels and they can go intermittent as well as failing altogether,right now back-light failure is the scourge of the industry,these LED devices were introduced many years ago to replace the energy consuming and troublesome ccfl tubing back-lights which were also troublesome many years ago however failure rate is high,the problem is its a very laborious operation to replace them and costly,in excess of $280 for a 40 inch set (varies where you are and the size/ cost of the set) in addition to tis there are not many repairers who undertake the work time will be needed to ring around using the yellow pages website or www.tvrepairpros.com for a NESDA approved technician or www.tvrepairman.com,I am sorry I do not have better news for you here just to add its not a job to undertake for the DIYer however if you want to try let me know just beware the risk at damage to the LCD panel is high when doing this work.

Presently new sets are adopting OLED technology lets hope this works out better.

You should complain to LG via the website

Let me know your thoughts

Anthony