TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a lg smart tv and my daughter who is 4 yo ended up…

Customer Question
I have a lg...

I have a lg smart tv and my daughter who is 4 yo ended up pressing the volume button down and now i cant turn it back up now

Technician's Assistant: Is your LG TV connected to a surge protector or power strip?

Strip

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

Let me try it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: TV
5/30/2018
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 2 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Does the volume bar on the screen not raise when you press the volume up button? Also what are you trying to view right now where there's no sound (cable box, built in APPS, etc.)?

just the tv
i cant hear anything

Again, does the volume bar on the screen raise and lower with the button- yes or no?

?

no its doesnt go up

You're using the original LG branded remote yes?

Are you having website issues preventing you from replying?

no im doing it manually

Get me the model number off the back of the LG please.

50LS4000-UA

Thank you. How about the other buttons on the set (Input, menu, power on/off)- do those respond please?

those work

That's bizarre- usually if one button doesn't work, none of them work. However if the volume doesn't respond either to the remote, or the buttons on the set itself, then this points to a mainboard fault in the set.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

it still wont turn up

Just to confirm- you're trying BOTH the original LG remote AS WELL AS the volume buttons on the TV with the same results?

I lost the remote

That's bad news then and your TV has a hardware failure. Nothing normal in the set will prevent you from turning the volume up or down using its own buttons. Give me a minute to type this up please.

Unfortunately this indicates the set's Mainboard has a fault and needs to be replaced (all of the audio and pushbutton processing is on this board). This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $75:

https://www.ebay.com/p/LG-50ls4000-ua-Main-Board-EBT62353205/21007405545?chn=ps

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, and if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?