TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Blue lines on screen - Samsung. No although it is using

Customer Question
Blue lines on screen...

Blue lines on screen - Samsung

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your Samsung TV?

No although it is using cable from another sam

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

Sung with HDMI cable

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Not to my knowledge, I have been on vacation and house sitters came out on lanai and turned on last month to find the blue lines

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: TV
5/29/2018
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 27 days ago
Nathan, Installer
Hello and sorry to hear you’re having trouble
What is the model number of the tv?
Are they vertical or horizontal lines?
Do those lines show up over the Samsung’s own menu screens?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
vertical lines, UN40EH5300F, no menu screens at all
Thanks for checking
Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an
internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control
board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a
manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event
(shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).
This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2013 model
tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This set is well past it’s service life at this point.
There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a
diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60
seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60
seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet,
bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.
If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an
internal hardware failure.
This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need
to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back
panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly
desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.
If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and
labor.
For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new 4k LED tv with a
fresh warranty in the $300 range.
I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.
My apologies for the news,