TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have an old Vizio JV50P HDTV10A TV. The issue I'm having…

Customer Question
Hi, I have an old...
Hi, I have an old Vizio JV50P HDTV10A TV. The issue I'm having is that the only option I have for adjusting picture size (overscan) is the "wide" button on my remote, which only cycles through "wide" and "zoom" on HDMI sources. Both option leave the image onscreen cropped at the edges. Is there any way to fix this so that the full image is shown onscreen?
Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: TV
5/28/2018
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 27 days ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

First, reboot the Cable/SAT box by disconnecting it from power for 10 seconds and plugging it back in. Upon rebooting, if the screen aspect is still incorrect, then look for the following buttons on the Cable/SAT remote:

Aspect
Zoom
HD Zoom
Ratio
(#) symbol under the 9 key

Find any buttons with those labels and use them to attempt to correct the picture size. If you are unable to find those buttons, or they don't help, then the settings are hidden deeper in the Cable Box and I will need the BRAND and MODEL of the cable box.

Were you able to try those steps? Are you still having the same problem?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Hi, thanks for the reply. This is not an issue with the cable box specifically. It's an issue with any source connected to the TV via hdmi. There is no way, that I can find, to disable overscan on the TV itself. Anything that I connect via hdmi has this overscan issue
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Hi, thanks for the reply. This is not an issue with the cable box specifically. It's an issue with any source connected to the TV via hdmi. There is no way, that I can find, to disable overscan on the TV itself. Anything that I connect via hdmi has this overscan issue.

Each device has its own resolution and screen size settings. So each device needs to be adjusted independently. You've used the only settings on the TV itself that correct picture size so it's time to dig into the device/sources themselves. Any info on what sources are connected?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
1 Cox contour settop box and 1 Xbox One X

So one at a time, have you tried locating any of those buttons I mentioned on the Cox box?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
There are no options to adjust it on the Xbox and zoom is set to none (off) on the cable box.

Well there are on the Xbox, it's in the advanced picture settings, but since you can't change them on the box either then the issue is the TV itself.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Exactly. I've tried to search the internet for a way to access the service menu (if there is one) in hopes that I can disable overscan in there but haven't found much so far.