TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a 2008 Samsung LN 19A330J2D TV. It's worked great all…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a 2008 Samsung LN 19A330J2D TV. It's worked great all these years on cable and, recently, with a Roku Streaming Stick +. I cut cable 10 days ago, and now I get an HDCP error. I've reset the display to 1080p and then to 720p, so it won't try to read everything as 4k, but it won't take. Roku said to ask Samsung. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your Samsung TV?

The Roku is attached with a short Roku extension to the only HDMI port on the TV. That's it.

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

Not that I know of.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: TV
5/27/2018
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 23 days ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

HDCP error simply means the TV has lost communication with the Roku. Shut the TV off, then unplug the power cord from the Roku stick. Disconnect the stick from the set and reconnect it. Plug the power cord back into it. Turn on the TV and let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps and are you still having the same problem?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I already did that with Roku to no avail.

Then try the other HDMI port on the TV and let me know.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Any other suggestions

Yes, give me a minute to reply and then read my reply.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
There's only one HDMI port, as it's a 10-year-old TV.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Already checked that, too.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
New TV tech?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Hello?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
NO HELP FOR $5. "REFERRED" me to a new tech who never came online. Now I can't rate Aric. Ripoff.
TV Technician: hongkongpom, Cable TV Installer replied 22 days ago
hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Cable TV Installer

Hello I am another Expert.

Do you have another piece of equipment that you can plug into the HDMI socket on the TV to verify it is working?

Are you able to test the Roku in another TV?

The problem is the HDCP error can be caused by the Roku or TV.

The HDCP is a handshaking signal between the two devices to make sure the device the Roku is plugged into is not a recording device but rather a viewing device ie a TV.

Also with the Roku unplugged from the HDMI socket, please try resetting your TV by holding in the Exit button on the TV remote to see if that fixes the problem. This will put your TV back on the settings when it came out from the factory.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Hi.
1. I don't have another piece of equipment to plug into the HDMI port.
2. I've tried the Roku on another TV, and it worked fine.
3. The TV remote has no Exit button. I've never heard of an exit button on a remote. It's a Samsung. I have another Samsung; no exit button there, either.
Another other ideas?
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Excuse me. There is an Exit button, but it's only for use in conjunction with the menu button. It does nothing on its own.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
OK. I tried what you suggested, and it asked if I wanted to reset the settings to the factory ones. I said yes. I'll reconnect Roku and see what happens. ... Nope. Same HDCP unauthorized error message. I've already gone into settings/display and set my TV to display 1080p, then 720p. Nothing makes a difference.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Except now, I have to go in and redo all the settings.
TV Technician: Richard, Technician replied 21 days ago
Richard, Technician

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the TV (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then on the actual TV, hold the power button for 60 seconds then release.

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the TV, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Just seeing this, Richard. Will try it right now... No difference.
TV Technician: Richard, Technician replied 18 days ago

Can you connect it to a different TV? Does it work on that?

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Already tried it on a different TV, which I noted on 28 May. It worked fine there.
Customer reply replied 16 days ago
PLEASE STOP trying to sell me on the calls. I've paid $5 and gotten no help, just repeated requests to do things I've already done (and already said I've done on at least one occasion)....
TV Technician: Richard, Technician replied 14 days ago

Please ignore the request for a call, the website makes them

\Are other sources able to play on the TV?